Learning Objectives for the Professional Writing Certificate
Students who earn the certificate in professional writing will be able to
• Analyze the purpose, audience, and context of a specific writing task and use that analysis to complete the task effectively.
• Conduct a variety of types of research, including library research, interviews, and surveys, essential to many professional writing tasks.
• Understand the forms and conventions of a range of documents produced in many professional settings, including feasibility reports, grant proposals, and business plans.
• Plan and write collaboratively with others.
• Critique and edit their own and others’ writing for rhetorical effectiveness as well as style, usage, and mechanics.
• Understand and apply the basic principles of successful web-based communication.
• Employ principles of effective visual design.
[back to Our Programs page]