"Climate Change: Implications for P12 Schools"
2013 Sustainability Institute for P12 Educators
June 25–27, 2013
Sustainability and What it Means for P12 Educators
The assurance of a productive, safe, viable future is marked by the interconnectedness of the human and environmental systems. At this Institute we will define sustainability in an educational context, present examples of P12 schools and resources for sustainability, and provide working sessions for educators to plan for how they can bring sustainability into their classrooms and institutions.
The Need for Sustainability Education
The 3-day institute is hosted by the:
- Webster University, School of Education
- EarthWays Center of the Missouri Botanical Garden
- Saint Louis Zoo, Education Division
- U. S. Green Building Council–Missouri Gateway Chapter
Our ultimate goal is to give educators the tools to cultivate a new generation of young people with the awareness, responsibility, and ability to take action for a beautiful, prosperous future. The 2013 Institute will focus on "Climate Change: Implications for P12 Schools." All of the food at the Institute will be as sustainable as possible.
Schedule of Events
Tuesday, June 25
Introduction to Climate Change. Keynote speakers, workshops.
Wednesday, June 26
Local Action. Speakers and work sessions will help process new strategies for weaving the principles and issues of Climate Change throughout the school or community.
Thursday, June 27
Hope. Hands-on projects and a culminating Resource Fair will close the Institute.
- Understand and face the challenges of climate change as part of the school culture
- Recognize local resources that can support curriculum and changes for sustainability
- Collaborate with others to achieve goals and partnerships in sustainability
- Create a community of advocates for sustainable schools and communities
The event will take place at Webster University, East Academic Bldg 8 am–4 pm. For more information, contact Lori Diefenbacher by phone at 314-246-8054 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.