Interested in applying to the Global MA in International Relations program?
Admission Qualifications | Application Process | Application Deadline
The Global MA in International Relations program has no equal. Nowhere else but through Webster can you complete a master's degree in international relations in just 11 months, by studying in five different countries, all through one university. If you have a passion for politics and international relations, love to travel, work well in groups, and are ready for your horizons to be expanded in ways you never imagined – we encourage you to apply.
NEW! Webster University is offering a new 11-month global program! The Global MA in International Nongovernmental Organizations will begin in August 2013!
Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university are encouraged to apply for admission to Webster University. Students from outside the U.S., who have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree, are welcome to apply. Applicants with any academic major are able to apply to this program.
The Global MA in IR program is designed to progress in five 8-week terms what is normally done in at least six terms. Because of the academic demand this program places on students, we prefer that applicants to the Global MA in IR have an overall minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale from their undergraduate degree-granting institution. We are willing to consider applicants with a GPA below 3.0 if they have a strong record of academic achievement in their junior and senior years. Applicants who do not meet either criterion, especially those several years removed from their undergraduate experience, may still be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. Please note that a phone interview also may be required.
All applicants must submit:
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission, which can be completed and submitted online at http://admissions.webster.edu/admissions/graduate/application/app_login.asp. Important Note: When asked to choose a program on the online application, applicants should select "St. Louis campuses" > "Home Campus, Webster Groves" > "International Relations", and then choose "Global International Relations". Applicants do not have to submit another application specific to the GMAIR program.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee, which can be submitted online with the application for admission. (Webster alumni and non-U.S. applicants are exempt from submitting an application fee.)
- An official transcript showing conferral of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Students who completed their university education outside the US must have earned a comparable recognized bachelor's degree, as determined by Webster University. Interested applicants who expect to earn their bachelor's degree by July (the month prior to the start of the program) must submit an official transcript showing current academic progress. An additional official transcript must be submitted upon completion of the bachelor's degree program. Applicants who have completed graduate-level work should also request an official graduate transcript to be mailed to the Office of Admission.
- A current résumé showing educational, work, and volunteer experience.
- An essay (500-700 words) on "What does it mean to be a global citizen?"
- Two letters of recommendation which speak to the applicant's motivation, character, and ability to be successful in an intense, 11-month graduate program that requires significant travel. One letter should come from a former or current professor/instructor. Recommendation letters should be written in narrative form and no more than one page in length. Applicants may submit recommendation letters with their application packet.
Note: Because many graduate school applicants have been in the work force for several years and have strong professional experience, the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required. Also, while professional experience is preferred, it is not required in order to be admitted to the Global MA in IR program.
Application materials, including transcripts, should be mailed to:
Office of Admission
Re: Global MA in International Relations
470 East Lockwood Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63119-3141
Applicants also can electronically submit their admission documents, except for official transcripts. Within 2-3 days of applying online, applicants receive an email with an activation link, which will allow for electronic uploading of admission documents to Webster University.
In addition to the documents listed above, non-US applicants must submit:
- An official English translation of their transcript and diploma, if applicable.
- TOEFL score-official only
- 575 on Paper-Based-TOEFL (PBT)
- 230 on Computer-Based-TOEFL (CBT)
- 90-91 on Internet-Based-TOEFL (IBT)
IELTS score of 6.5 on each section of the exam-official only
If your address or contact information changes after you apply for admission, please notify us immediately by calling 314-246-7800 or 1-800-753-6765, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Admission communicates with applicants via email, letter, and/or phone numbers provided by the student. It is imperative that applicants regularly check all forms of communication.
The Office of Admission notifies applicants of the admission decision within two weeks after their admission file is completed.
The application deadline is March 1. However, we will accept applications until the class is full. If you meet the admission requirements, we encourage you to apply. If you have questions concerning your file and the status of documents submitted, please contact Ms. Thuy Witt ("Twee") at 314-246-8239 or 1-800-753-6765, or email@example.com.
11 months | 5 countries | 1 university