Webster University strives to be a center of academic excellence. The University makes every effort to ensure the following:
- The opportunity for students to learn and inquire freely
- The protection of intellectual freedom and the rights of professors to teach
- The advancement of knowledge through scholarly pursuits and relevant dialogue
The University community is by nature pluralistic and diverse. Those who elect to participate in the Webster University community--students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and directors--accept the responsibility of sharing in the effort to achieve the University's mission as an institution of higher learning. Each member is expected to respect the objectives of the University and the views of its members.
Participants in this shared enterprise strive to be governed by what ought to be rather than by what is. To accomplish its goals, members of the University community aspire to a higher standard than mere compliance with formalized University requirements and local, state, and federal laws.
Webster University endeavors to fulfill the following expectations:
- Preserve academic honor and integrity by repudiating all forms of academic and intellectual dishonesty
- Treat others with respect and dignity
- Respect the rights and property of others
- Act with concern for the safety and well-being of its associates
Inquiry, discourse, and dissent, within the framework of an ordered academic environment, are seminal elements of a university community and of a free democratic society. Members of the Webster University community recognize this and are consequently supportive of democratic and lawful procedure and dedicated to rational approaches to solving problems. This assumes openness to change as well as commitment to historical values.