Creating an E-Mail Filter in Microsoft Outlook 2003IMPORTANT NOTE: The only situation where filtering would be applicable with Barracuda is if you have your options for Quarantine turned to off (No) and Spam Filtering turned to on (Yes)
- Open Outlook.
- Under the Tools menu, select Rules and Alerts.
- Click the “New Rule” button.
- Make sure “Start creating a rule from a template” is selected if it is not already.
- Select “Move messages with specific words in the subject to a folder”, then click the Next > button.
- On the next screen, with specific words in the subject has a checkmark in front of it by default. Leave this option checked.
- In the Rule description area (Step 2: Edit the rule description), click on the blue underlined text specific words
- In the Search Text pop up window that appears, type in the word [SPAM] (make sure to include the brackets) in the Specify words or phrases to search for in the subject text box. Then click Add.
- [SPAM] will now appear in the Search list box as shown below. Please note that in the search list, [SPAM] appears in quotes. This is added by Outlook. Do not type in the quotes when you are adding the word in step 8 above.
- Now type in the word [QUAR] (include the brackets). Click on Add.
- Both words will now appear in the Search list box and your screen should
look similar to that below.
- Click OK.
- When the Rules Wizard window is again active, click on the blue underlined text specified folder (specified is underlined, folder is not) in the Rule Description area.
- In the pop up window that appears, select the folder where you want your filtered messages to go. You can select an existing folder or create a new one.
- To create a new folder, click on the New button, type in a name for your new folder, then you will need to select where to place this new folder. To have this folder appear under all of your other personal folders, make sure Personal Folders is selected underneath “Select where to place the folder”. Then click OK.
- Back on the previous window, the folder you just created should now
be selected under the “Choose a folder” area. Ensure that is and then
- Click Next >.
- Where it asks What do you want to do with the message? make sure that move it to the specified folder is selected.
- Click Next >.
- On the next screen, it asks you if you want to add any exceptions. Click on the Next > button.
- On the next screen, in the Please specify a name for this rule text box, type in the name you would like to use. In this instance, we used SPAM.
- Make sure Turn on this rule is selected and then click Finish after you have reviewed the rule description for accuracy.
- Your rule will now show with a checkmark in front of it on the main “Rules and Alerts” window.
- Click the OK button to exit out of Rules and Alerts.
NOTE: We recommend creating a new folder called SPAM that you should monitor occasionally to prevent accidental deletion of messages that should not have been marked as SPAM.