Activating Your Account
Since every computer and e-mail program is different, this document can only provide general guidelines for setting up a new e-mail account. In order to access your email you first need to activate your Connections account.
In addition to your password, you need several pieces of information to set up your e-mail client. For a fictitious person named Jane Doe whose e-mail address is "email@example.com," these would be:
|Username||doej (This is your Connections username)|
|Incoming server (POP3)||To get your proper incoming (POP3) email server name, go to http://connections.webster.edu/myaccount and logon with your Connections username and password. Once logged in, click on “Settings for my desktop e-mail program”.|
|Outgoing server (SMTP)||
For additional outgoing server settings, see Outgoing Email Server Information & Settings.
Once you have gathered the information above, you should be able to configure any e-mail program (Netscape, Outlook, Eudora, etc.). Below are the configuration steps for the most popular email clients.
Please Note: You should only have your email open in one location/program at a time.
1. Click on Tools.
2. Click on Email Accounts.
3. Click the radio button next to Add a new e-mail account.
4. Click Next.
5. Click the radio button next to IMAP and then click Next.
6. In the User Information section:
- Your Name Field: Type your name as you would like it to appear in the “From” field of emails
- E-mail Address Field: Type the email address you want the emails you send from this account to be from (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
7. In the Logon Information section:
- User Name Field: Type your Webster University email account username (everything before the @ in your email address)
- Password Field: Type the password for your Webster University email account, remember it is case sensitive. (It will appear only as asterisks for security purposes)
- Remember Password Checkbox: Check this box so that you do not have to retype your password every time you check your email.
8. Server Information section:
To get your proper incoming email server names please go to http://connections.webster.edu/myaccount and logon with your Connections username and password. Once logged in, click on “Settings for my desktop e-mail program”. Once you have this information:
- Incoming mail server (POP3) Field: type in the information you received in step 8
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP) Field: type in smtp.webster.edu
9. Click on the More Settings button.
10. Click on the Outgoing Server tab.
11. Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and the radio button next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
12. Click OK.
1. With Mail open, click on Mail and go to Preferences.
2. In the window that opens, click on the Accounts (@) button.
3. Click the + button in the lower-left hand corner of the window.
4. For the Account Type, select the IMAP option.
5. Type in a description for your account, for example “Webster Email”.
6. Type in your full name.
7. Enter your e-mail address. (your_Connections_username@webster.edu)
8. To get your proper incoming email server name, please go to http://connections.webster.edu/myaccount and logon with your Connections username and password. Once logged in, click on “Settings for my desktop e-mail program”. Once you have this information, proceed to the next step.
9. Type the server name you retrieved in step 8 into the box labeled Incoming Mail Server.
10. The User Name field should already have your user name entered. If it does not, enter it (username is everything before the @webster.edu).
11. Enter your password in the Password field.
12. Once the incoming server is set up, you will then have to set up the outgoing server.
13. Click on the Server Settings button.
14. Type in smtp.webster.edu
15. Choose “Password” in the Authentication box.
16. Type your Connections username in the User Name field.
17. Type your Connections password in the Password field.
18. Click OK.
19. Click the Close button on the mail setup window. You will be asked if you wish to save your changes. Click Save.