COMM 5040: Practicum
This practicum provides supervised field experience for students who are finished or in the process of finishing their professional education courses for Missouri Certification in ESOL. Reflective thought, observation, discussion, and actual teaching will be used to expand participants’ teaching skills. The first 2-4 hours are spent in careful observation of the workings and interactions of the ESL classroom. The remaining hours should be used working with the cooperating teacher and students. Classroom participation includes observation, interaction, record keeping, and analysis of specific strengths and needs of English Language Learners. Practicum students will design strategies and activities to meet the instructional needs of individual students. Participants will also focus on interpreting and recommending curriculum materials and methods to encourage and help English Language Learners become proficient in their new language.
Course Learning Outcomes
After completing COMM 5040 – Practicum in ESOL, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate constructed knowledge of content, based on personal inquiry and scholarship.
- Participate in a community of learners, including students, colleagues, and parents.
- Model effective teaching practices based on sound theory and practice and resulting in an optimal learning environment.
- Be innovative and experiment with curriculum as an ongoing part of teaching, while operating within realistic parameters. Embrace diversity in a multicultural setting, teaching to individual needs.
- Reflect upon his/her own practice I order to become an agent of change, both in the classroom and in the community.
School of Education Practicum Book
- Students will be required to work with a school/university/college of their choice. The school of choice should have an established ESL program and at least one experienced ESL teacher (3-5 years of teaching experience) willing to work with the student for a full semester. The university of choice should have an established MAT program with TESL emphasis /an ESOL Certification program and an experienced program Coordinator or Professor willing to supervise the student (3-5 years of teaching/supervising experience). Students are responsible to find and establish initial contact with these individuals and to provide the information to Ionela Bock, the TESL/TEFL Coordinator at Webster University.
- One semester prior to enrolling in this course, please follow the guidelines established by the school district you will be working with ( i.e. fingerprints, background check).
- Credit by Exam is an option to the Practicum course for all students who have taught ESL or ELL in K-12 classrooms for the last 5 years.
- If you prefer CBX instead of a Practicum course, you will NOT have to register for COMM 5040. Please contact Ionela Bock at email@example.com for details.
- Two months before registering in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for school placement. At this point, you should have all the paperwork ready or in process.