International Process & Procedure
All new international employees required to go into the Foreign National Information System (FNIS) to enter their immigration history information.
Webster University uses FNIS to collect data on all foreign nationals employed at the institution. FNIS will automatically calculate your Tax Residency Status and analyze if you are eligible for Tax Treaty benefits. Tax Residency Status determines how employers can properly withhold taxes, how the individual should complete the W4 withholding allowance form, what income is taxable, which tax forms must be completed for a tax return, and even whether a tax return is required.
Please contact the Payroll Department for your FNIS login information at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 314-246-7408.
Payroll is REQUIRED to have a copy of the following supporting documents verifying the FNIS information you have provided:
- Copy of I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form)
- W-4 Forms - State of Missouri and Federal (Employee Withholding Allowance Forms)
- Copy of your Social Security Card (To obtain your SSN, please visit Social Security Administration Website for more information)
- Copy of Biographical Page from your Passport
- Copy of the Visa page from your Passport
- Copy of your I-94 card from your Passport (Arrival / Departure Record)
- Copy of I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status)
OR Copy of DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor
OR Copy of Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Employees with Tax Treaty need to sign the Form 8233.Once the treaty information has been verified, the Payroll department will contact you for signature.
Other documents that are useful, but not required:
• Copy of Form I-797A (Exchange VISA only)
• Copy of Form I-566 Interagency Record of Request
• Copy of Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
• Copy of Form I-766 Employment Authorization Card
• Copy of Drivers License for any state in the US