It is our mission to train our future colleagues to become visionaries, creators and leaders in the next generation of American professional theatre.
The student will demonstrate an effective production process that integrates:
- Strong social skills
- A comprehensive approach to analyzing a play
- Strong research skills
- The ability to organize and supervise a construction team
- An understanding of theatre history and visual styles
- Mastery of skills in design presentation and development
- The ability to organize a construction process
- Creative thinking in problem solving
- An understanding of layout and construction skills
- An understanding of the needs of performers and directors
- The ability to successfully execute a design
- Work within a team of costume construction specialists through the production process, with attention to wardrobe run, tailoring, draping, pattern drafting, millinery, fabric modification, crafts, budget and time management.
Courses completed with a grade of D do not count toward fulfilling the specific course requirements of the major.
Auditions/interviews are required for all students planning major in theatre at Webster University. Auditions/interviews are held each year during the spring semester for entrance into the following fall session. Both on-campus and off-campus audition sites are available to prospective theatre students. No video auditions are accepted.
99 required credit hours
12 general education credit hours
17 elective credit hours
|CONS 1010, 1020, 2010, 2020, 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020
(The Conservatory sequence or its equivalent)
|ART 1110 Introduction to Drawing||3 hours|
|ART 1120 Principles of Drawing||3 hours|
|ART 1130 Figure Drawing for Theatre Majors||2 hours|
|ART 1210 Design: 2-D||3 hours|
|ART 1220 Design: 3-D||3 hours|
|GNST 1400 Civilization and the Arts||4 hours|
|THEA 2030 History of the Theatre: Greeks to Elizabethan||3 hours|
|THEA 2040 History of the Theatre: Restoration to 1915||3 hours|
|THEA 2050 History of Theatre: 1915 to Present||3 hours|
|DANC 1560 Costume Construction for Dance||3 hours|