Religion and Global Society (BA)
An online religious studies major exploring issues involving religion and global society, such as the conflict between traditional and liberal values, conflict creation and resolution, human rights, the influence of science, new technology and new forms of communication.
Upon completion of this degree, the student will:
- Demonstrate familiarity with cultures of different parts of the world
- Be able to addressing issues of individual social responsibility by exposure to other ways of thinking about core social issues;
- Demonstrate critical thinking, via the ability to compare familiar and unfamiliar perspectives in writing and oral communication.
- Developing practical and ethical skills by doing field projects in which alternative practices and beliefs are encountered;
- Achieve individual, creative excellence through individualized assignments enabled through the online technology.
- Integrate developed skills based on the individual talents and interests of the individual student by offering a unique guided course to close the major.
A minimum of 128 credit hours consisting of the following:
- 30 required credit hours in religious studies
- 12 required credit hours in arts and sciences courses
- Applicable university global citizenship or general education program hours
Religious Studies Required Courses
|RELG 1041 Phenomena: Globalization||3 hours|
|RELG 1060 World Religions||3 hours|
|RELG 1080 Thinking through Religions||3 hours|
|RELG 2031 Violence in the Name of God||3 hours|
|RELG 2401 Religion and the Arts: Media Culture||3 hours|
|RELG 2411 Religion and Science: Scientific Theory||3 hours|
|RELG 2431 Religion and the Environment: Ecology & Spirituality||3 hours|
|RELG 2501 Gender, Culture & Religion: Gender, Belief Systems & Globalization||3 hours|
|RELG 3051 Religion and Human Rights||3 hours|
|RELG 4550 Advanced Study in Religion||3 hours|
|RELG 4800 Portfolio Review||0 hours|
Arts and Sciences Required Courses
|3 credits at the 1000-level|
|3 credits at the 2000-level|
|6 credits at the 3000 or 4000-level|
Special Degree Requirements
- Of the required 42 credit hours to complete a BA in religion and global society, a minimum of 18 credit hours must be taken at Webster University
- Required courses completed with a grade lower than C- will not count toward fulfilling the major