LIST OF THE STREETS OF DOGTOWN
Compiled by Bob Corbett
First version was April 11, 2002
LAST UPDATED April 15, 2002
Any dates which are in red are exact years.
Dates in black are
either the earliest or latest known for sure.
- ABERDEEN PLACE Changed to
The name was changed because another St. Louis street was called Aberdeen Place.
The earliest date known as Aberdeen was 1927.
- AMERICAN AVENUE Changed in 1922 to
- ART HILL PLACE Current since 1924 It runs north -- south from
Oakland to Clayton.
- BARRON AVENUE Current since 1881 It was changed from
- BENTON STATION Changed in 1908 to
BENTON TERRACE and before that it was GREENE
- BENTON TERRACE Current since 1908 when it was
changed from Benton Terrace
- BERTHOLD AVENUE Current since 1856
and one of the oldest roads in the area. It runs east -- west just one block south of Oakland. It was named in honor of Bartholome Berthold who married into
the Chouteau family. That early St. Louis family owned a large track of land between Kingshighway and Macklind from Oakland south.
- BILLON AVENUE Changed in 1921 to
Billion and West Billon were named after Frederick Billon well-known early St. Louis historian.
- BROCK AVENUE Current since 1911 and
it runs north -- south from Dale Avenue.
- BROCKSCHMIDT PLACE Current since 1875
and it runs east -- west off Tamm Ave., one block north of Manchester. It was named in honor of
Herman Brockschmidt who owned a quarry in St. Louis and whose family ran a brick works on
- BRUNO AVENUE Current It runs east -- west from the 6700 block of
Manchester to McCausland. It was named for Jean Baptiste Bruno, a farmer in the Maplewood area in the 1840s.
- CAIRNS PLACE No longer exists. It was used from 1924 until the mid-1960s. It
ran one block south from Oakland just east of Hampton. It was removed to make way for the
TV/Radio station which is now on that property. It was named after Mrs. Anna Sneed Cairns, founder of Forest Park College. The College was just
east of where Cairns ran.
- CENTER STREET From 1875 to 1882, then the name was changed to
- CENTRAL AVENUE Current since 1906.
- CHELTENHAM AVENUE The name was changed in 1906 to
- CHILDRESS AVENUE Current since some time after 1927. In 1927
it was called Aberdeen Place.
- CLAYTON AVENUE Current from at least the
1960s. The street is named after Ralph Clayton who was a landowner in the area.
- CLYDE TERRACE Current from 1914 and runs from
north -- south.
- CRESCENT AVENUE Current from 1885 and runs east --
west from Hampton to Clayton. It is named for Crescent City in New Orleans
- CUTTER AVENUE Current since 1900
and runs north -- south off Dale, just east Of McCausland. It is named for J. Henry Cutter who had an embroidery company in St. Louis.
- DALE AVENUE Current from 1881 and prior to that
is was Hill Road There is a section of Dale
which is east of Hampton. Then it begins off Manchester just west of Tamm and runs east -- west
all the way to (and past) McCausland.
- DAVIS ?????? I know nothing about this street at all.
- DEVLIN AVENUE Current from 1882. It is just
east of Hampton off West Park and runs south to Manchester. It was named for a Galic name for Dubliners.
- DILLENBERGER AVENUE Existed from 1911 to 1952 and then was changed to
Dolan Place It runs east -- west.
- DOLAN PLACE Current from 1951. Before that it was
called Dillenberger Ave. Dolan Place is name for Dolan Realty Co.
- DYSON AVENUE Current from 1932. At this time Dyson doesn't much look like a street.
It runs for just about 1/2 block west from Hampton about 50 yards south of Roberts. The building of the Carpenter's Hall has
altered the area where Dyson was.
- EMILIE AVENUE Current from 1884. Runs from east -- west.
- EVERGREEN PLACE No longer exists but did in 1908. It ran from north -- south
- FAIRMOUNT AVENUE Current from 1916. While it runs from north -- south, and runs from
Oakland all the way to Mitchell, it isn't continuous. It begins at Oakland, but then ends at Clayton. Then it picks up again
at Dale and runs up the hill to Mitchell. It was named for the famous Fairmount Park Race Track in Philadelphia.
- FAIRMOUNT COURT Current from 1946. This short street runs just one block from
Mitchell south. It has the same name source as Fairmount.
- FOREST AVENUE Current and dates from sometime in the 1890s. It runs north -- south.
- GARNER AVENUE Current from 1885 and runs east -- west. It was named for James T. Garner, Deputy Sheriff
of St. Louis.
- GLADES AVENUE Current 1852 The street runs from east -- west.
- GRAHAM AVENUE Current from 1882 and before that existed as
Center. It runs from Manchester to Oakland and has some of the oldest homes in Dogtown in the 1300 block. It was named for David Graham who ran Sulphur Springs, which
was the first name of the settlement in this area, even before the name Cheltenham was used.
- GRANDVIEW AVENUE Current from 1907 and runs one block north from Clayton Ave. at Dewey
School, and one block south from Clayton. The block north of Clayton is one of the two remaining brick streets in Dogtown, and only a partial brick at that.
- GRATIOT AVENUE In 1881 the name of Gratiot was changed to Barron Ave. The street was named after the Gratiot family which had the original
land grant that included what is today Dogtown Cheltenham.
- GREENE AVENUE Benton Station It was named
after Mr. Greene who founded Laclede Brick Company
- GREGG AVENUE Current since 1909. The street runs north -- south
from Wade Ave. to Manchester. It was named for Cecil B. Gregg, who had a coffee company in St. Louis
- HALF STREET Current since 1912. This curious little street
runs north from West Park just east of Hampton, and only runs two blocks. As best I can tell there are no homes which face
Half Street and thus I would guess no street addresses.
- HAMPTON AVENUE Current since 1921 Formerly
the north -- south through streets at that level were Billon and also West Billon
- HILL ROAD From 1880 to 1882 and then the
name was changed to Mitchell Avenue
- HUGHES PLACE Current since 1913. This is
a north-south street off the 5700 block of West Park.
- JANUARY AVENUE Current since 1853 This is a north -
south street which runs from Manchester to Wise. It is names for Derrick A. January, landowner
- KRAFT STREET Current from 1885. This north - south
street runs from Clayton Ave.
- LLOYD AVENUE Current from 1888. There is a section of
Lloyd which is east of Hampton for one block. That section was known as Loretta Street Lloyd Ave. was named for
Mahlon Lloyd, tobacco dealer.
- LORETTA STREET From 1888 to 1931 then the name was changed to
Lloyd Ave. This was only a one block are which is east of
- LOUISVILLE AVENUE Current from 1887. This is a north --
south street which runs from Oakland to Mitchell.
- MACKLIND AVENUE Current
Macklind isn't reall "in" the Dogtown area, but is the farest eastern border one could very
- MANCHESTER AVENUE Current and a very
early street, originally called New Manchester Road. Originally it was an extension of
Market Street from downtown St. Louis. One of the 1878
maps shows parts of Manchester Avenue in our area called Market Street. Henry Herbst tells me
that it was the only road leaving St. Louis which didn't cross a river!
- MARKET STREET changed, however,
for a while and according to an 1878 map, parts of Manchester were called
- MARTHA PLACE Current from 1871. This
north - south street was named for the patron saint of house-bound wives.
- MCCAUSLAND AVENUE Current. This very early
street was named for James McCausland, landowner.
- MITCHELL AVENUE Current from 1882. Earlier it
was called Hill Street. MItchell begins on Manchester, but swings east -- west and runs to
McCausland in Dogtown. It was named for Samuel Mitchell of Mitchell brick works.
- MITCHELL PLACE Current since 1922 when it was changed from American Avenue. The street was
named for Samuel Mitchell of Mitchell brick works.
- MITCHELL TERRACE Current from 1953. Like the other
Mitchells, it was named for Samuel Mitchell of Mitchell brick works.
- MOBILE COURT Current from 1951. Two different sources
differ, one saying this street was named because there was mobil home parking on it, and the other sources says it was
named for Mobile, Alabama.
- NASHVILLE AVENUE Current from 1887. Nashville runs from
near the eastern edge of Dogtown all the way to McCausland, however it is interrupted in
a couple of places on to pick up later on. It seems to have been named for Nashville, Tennessee.
- OAKLAND AVENUE Current and a very early through
street in our area.
- OAKVIEW PLACE Current from 1924. This short north -- south street
runs from Oakland to Wise Avenue, just east of Hampton.
- PIERCE AVENUE Current since 1888. Earlier it was
named Washington Street. One source says it was named for Henry Clay Pierce, Waters-Pierce Oil Co., and another traces it
to the U.S. President Pierce.
- PLATEAU AVENUE Current from 1882. It is a south to north
street which runs from Manchester to Dale.
- PRATHER AVENUE Current from 1871. It is named
for James V. Praether, landowner in the area.
- RIPPLE STREET Current since 1881. This north - south street only runs
from West Park south to Sproule. Prior to Ripple it was known as Spring Street, but was changed in a
reorganization of city streets.
- ROBERTS AVENUE Current since 1908. This short east - west street
runs from Hampton to Ripple. It is named for W. Earle Roberts, tea and coffee man.
- SAN JACINTO AVENUE Current from 1888. This north - south street was named for
the San Jacinto River in Texas.
- SAN JACINTO COURT Current since 1946. THis north - south strett was
named for the San Jacinto River in Texas.
- SANFORD AVENUE Current from 1912 This north - south streets runs from Oakland to Clayton Ave., then again from Dale to Mitchell.
- SCHAEFFER PLACE Current from 1912 This north - south street is named for
a British term for shepherd.
- SPRING STREET From 1870 to 1881, then the named changed to Ripple.
- SPROULE AVENUE Current from 1909 This north - south street runs from
Manchester to Ripple and was named for Andrew Sproule, partner in Davis Dry Goods.
- SUBLETTE AVENUE Current
THis very early street runs north - south from Manchester to West Park. The street is named
for "Wild" Bill Sublette, early settler and one of my
favorite characters of this area's 19th century.
- SULPHUR AVENUE Current This was another
quite early street and while it currently is a north - south street from Manchester to West Park, it was once a through street
much farther south. It is named for the Sulphur Spring which was just south of Manchester and from which our area gots its
original name. In the 1830s and 40s there was a resort hotel and race track in the area and people came to
take "cures" in the healing waters of Sulphur Springs and enjoy the beautiful River des Peres Valley.
- TAMM AVENUE Current since 1893 when it was changed from it's older name of
Tamm Road. It was named for Jacob Tamm, farmer and landowner
in the area.
- TAMM ROAD From 1953 until 1893 when it was changed to
the current name Tamm Avenue. It was named for Jacob Tamm, farmer and landowner in the area.
- THERMA TERRACE Existed from 1914 to 1930, but I'm not sure of
its current status. This short north - south street ran north from Dale near McCausland.
- VALLEY ROAD In 1881 the name was changed to
- VICTORIA AVENUE Current since 1907. This east - west
street runs from Hampton to Tamm Ave. and was named to honor Queen Victoria of England.
- VICTORIA PLACE No longer exists, but did in 1907.
Like Victoria Avenue, it is named to honor Queen Victoria of England.
- VILLA AVENUE Current since 1888.
This is an east - west street and the 6600 block has several century homes.
- WADE AVENUE Current since 1887 and while it runs
from Sproule west to Louisville, it makes a significant job at Tamm Ave. It was named for Festus B. Wade, banker and railroad man.
- WALDEMAR AVENUE Current since 1885. This is an
east - west street.
- WASHINGTON Changed to
- WEST BILLON AVENUE Current The current
north - south streets runs just one block north from Lloyd, across from Gratiot School and behind
the Denny's Restaurant. It used to be a through street and one of the original names for
Hampton Avenue. It was named for Frederick Billon, famous
St. Louis historian of the 19th century.
- WEST PARK AVENUE Current and
the named was changed in about 1906 from Cheltenham Avenue.
- WISE AVENUE Current and a very old
Dogtown street, running the whole east - west route through Dogtown, but interrupted in places.
It was named for Henry J. Wise, early landowner in the area.
- WYATT PLACE Current from 1930. An east - west