Charles Theodore Jennemann and his wife Rocina built their first home in the Dogtown area in what is now the 6600 block of Villa It was a large home and suited their growing family but after a few years, they became concerned about the expanding clay mines. C.T. also built a two story brick building on the NW corner of Tamm and Cheltenham (later changed to West Park). This building housed the JENNEMANN MARKET. (C.T. was also an accomplished engraver.) Because of their concern about the clay mines, they purchased property on West Park next to the market and erected a home, similar to the one on Villa, at 6405 West Park. At this time. they were parents to four boys and the fifth son, George, was the first of their children to be born in the new home.
Hand written on this old photo is says: "Taken summer 1903 for post card for 6405 Cheltenham (West Park)." The family rented rooms during the Fair.
In time, five more children were born in this house., a total of ten who survived into adulthood. As the older children married or went into military service, the home became too big and so C.T. and Rocina built a somewhat smaller home at 6411 West Park.
The home at 6434 West Park was built about l894 by Clark and
Mary Alice (May) Young.
This was a 5 room frame home, but in 1903, four rooms were added to the rear of the home bringing the number of rooms to 9. Clark was a street car conductor. He died suddenly in l904 leaving May with two small daughters, Elsie and Maud Alice (Alice). May operated the MAY YOUNG DAIRY from this address and rented rooms during the l904 World’s Fair. Elsie and Alice attended and graduated from Gratiot School in l909. Gratiot is located at Hampton and Manchester After graduation, they both were employed as milliners (ladies hat makers).
George Jennemann and Alice Young were married in 1917. They
lived on the second floor at 6434 West Park and over the years had four
children. Mildred, Robert, Raymond, and Mary Louise.
Alice Young Jennemann and her sister-in-law Rose Jennemann in front of their home on West Park. This photo was taken about 1915 to 1920
In l932, they moved their growing family to the Jennemann home at 6411 West Park and resided there until May Young died in l944. At that time, they moved back to 6434 and the Jennemann home at 6411 was sold. George and Alice lived at 6434 until their deaths in l953 and l983.
George was very active at Dewey School, in the PTA and was scout master of Troop 166 for many years. He was known to the boys as POP Jennemann. After his sons left for service in WWII, he continued to serve on the scout committee. He also led the annual picnic parade with his troop to Forest Park Highlands and was in charge of the races for all 8 grades for many years. He became Civil Defense Captain for the area during the war. He was also a member of the auxiliary of the Engineers Assn. George was also active at St. James as a member of the Holy Name Society and a member of the church choir and was often in plays and minstrel shows and active in church funding projects. Alice was a homemaker and a member of the Sodality and the Quilters group. After the death of Alice, the Young family home at 6434 West Park was bought by the youngest daughter, Mary Louise and her husband, Lloyd Miller. After extensive remodeling, the home was occupied by family members and then rented. The house was sold in 2003.
|Bibliography||Oral history||Recorded history||Photos|
|YOUR page||External links||Walking Tour|