12722: Re: 12714: Simidor replies to Hyppolite/Hyppolite replies (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

Daniel,

I am now beginning to get a better understanding of where you want to go
with your argument. I believe it is in Post 12593 that you wrote:

["Lavalas opportunism and corruption make a bad situation even worse: what
they cannot parcel out among themselves, they sell at bargain rates to
foreign friends and accomplices. Aristide's recent free-trade zone agreement
with the Dominican Republic, which basically hands over 10% of Haitian
territory to the Dominican government, is the latest in a series of scandals
rocking the Lavalas regime. Haiti's emerging status as a sub-colony of the
Dominican Republic is part of the new reality forced down Haiti's throat,
under the guise of "restoring democracy."]

My question subsequently, based on the above-statement that you made, was
which State will have jurisdictional authority over these 10 percent of the
land? The Dominican Government, or the Haitian Government?

My question now is still the same, although not addressed to you directly.
Who will have jurisdiction over these 10 percent of the land? Which State
will administer those 10 percent of Haiti's land?

If the Dominicans will have jurisdiction over that portion of Haiti's land;
if they will be able to vote their own local officials, and provide the
police force for civil society protection rather than Haitians, then we can
safely say that you are indeed correct. Otherwise, your so confidently
affirmative statement as to the nature and content of the free-trade
agreement between Haiti and the Dominican Republic is simply incorrect.

That was and still is, my point from the beginning. It is improper to make
such an affirmative statement, unless you can prove that it is indeed
correct. Otherwise, you can speculate and must inquire indeed. In fact, we
must all inquire on that very issue.

In your latest post Daniel, you also wrote:

[But if you really want to know what's what, I urge you address your
questions to the Leader himself or to his henchmen.]

Well Daniel, I have two (2) Leaders, (with capital L), now that my father is
no longer: God, and my brain. I did get your point here, Daniel. And I don't
know any "henchmen" of his who could provide me with such information.

This should be as you mention it yourself, public information because we are
talking, writing about the public domain, the res publica. Since you and
many others are so worried about the totality of the deal; since you and I
and all others have very good reasons to be, the true issue becomes not
whether, but how to pressure the Haitian government to provide such
information.

If they can't or don't, and if the present legislature does not or cannot
debate the issue, then the responsible opposition should, must bring it up
as an issue for the next legislative elections, and follow through with it
if their partisans win.

Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP
http://www.irsp.org