12902: University Autonomy endangered - press release (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

(Charles Arthur notes: sorry not to have been able to send this in earlier.
As you will see it is dated 31 July but I think that it is still relevant.)

HAITIAN FEMINIST ORGANIZATIONS DENOUNCE THE LAVALAS GOVERNMENT’S COUP AGAINST
UNIVERSITY AUTONOMY
Port-au-Prince, July 31st, 2002.

KAYFANM         SOFA            ENFOFANM

Once again, Haitian Women’s feminist organizations take a stand to express
their nonnegotiable opposition to the Lavalas government’s violation of the
democratic process in Haiti. This time, it is the State University’s
autonomy that is endangered by governmental interferences through arbitrary
measures taken by the Minister of education in collusion with the judiciary
in an attempt to dismantle the Council composed of elected Deans of
Faculties.

We cannot not remain voiceless in front of such an outrageous aggression,
for the University’s autonomy is the result of a struggle waged by the
progressive forces within the university community, joined by various
sectors of Haitian society. As such, it is part and parcel of the gains of
the Haitian democratic movement since 1985, proclaimed in the Constitution
of 1987. As a result, University autonomy is intertwined with constitutional
rights, which embodies all human rights, including freedom of speech and
conviction and the right of participation in the nation’s political life.
Such principles cannot be negotiated or subdued to the control of any branch
of state power, be it the Executive, the Parliamentary or the Judiciary.

We cannot remain voiceless witnesses of the rapidity with which the Lavalas
government has arbitrarily intervened in the internal affairs of the
University, under the sham pretext of imposing a solution to alleged student
discontent with a Dean’s candidacy to the newly elected Council. With an
unprecedented efficacy, Minister Myrtho Célestin Sorèl has made use of a big
stick policy Lavalas style, pretending to apply an illegal decree brought
down from Judge Jean Philippe in order to oust the Council and replace it
with a de facto Committee nominated by the Executive.

Madam Célestin Sorèl, what’s cooking? How can you refer to a decree enacted
under Duvalier in order to enhance illegitimate power of the Lavalas regime
you are blindly serving and crush the university’s autonomy, as did the
dictatorship back in the 1960’s? Minister Célestin Sorèl, don’t you know
that one cannot keep someone from being a candidate in a free and democratic
electoral process? Such a manipulative act is not only illegal, but
unconstitutional as well!

Haitian Women’s organizations strongly believe that this country cannot be
lead without the constructive participation of all its organized citizens.
Thus, Haitian civilian society will not remain indifferent to Lavalas’s
assault against public institution of higher education, geared at bringing
light to society at large and hope for the country’s future. The
responsibility for the problems facing the State University can by no means
be attributed to any of the Members of the legitimate Council in office.
Such a simplistic equation negates the State’s larger responsibility to
furnish this independent team with the means to properly administrate higher
education at the national level.

Haitian Women’s organizations affirm that it is the Ministry of Education’s
role and responsibility to see to it that the other branches of the
executive allocate sufficient funds to the University budget in order to
enable it to adequately fulfill its mission. Whatever happened to the
government’s alleged policy of investing in its human resources?

Haitian Women’s organizations have joined the mobilization called by the
defenders of University autonomy, because as concerned citizen, we agree
with the rightfulness of their cause. In doing so, we are exercising our
civil rights to be the watchdogs of our country’s public institutions and
demand that the conduct of civil servants reflects that they serve the
people’s need and behave accordingly in due respect to the rules of the
democratic game.

As it pertains to the University, if anyone – student or teacher - disagrees
with a given candidacy, it is up to them to come up with a better candidate
of their own: such is the principle of the electoral process. And such
process that was taking place for the nomination of new Council Members,
before its interruption by a handful of students, paving the way to
executive interference in the University Community’s life.

Moreover, Haitian Women’s organizations are deeply concerned about the
backlash of the on going brain drain of our human resources upon the
country’s future. We are convinced that every citizen should take a stand
and beat back Lavalas’s attack on the University. In doing so, we are taking
a stance, as responsible parents, for quality public education, beyond
political partisanship or governmental dictates.

As Haitian Women’s organizations are voicing their support for public
institutions, we are seeking to secure a better future for our children, a
life of quality for our youth, in the name of the overwhelming majority of
citizen who cannot afford to send their kids pursue higher education abroad.

This is the reason why Haitian Women’s organizations have chosen to bring
their support to progressive students and teachers who are taking a stand on
the grounds of these shared principles. Therefore, Haitian Women’s
organizations call upon all Haitian women to join the solidarity front that
is being built with all concerned citizen who are willing to stand up for
these rights, in the name of the defence of national interest before and
spread these ideals among the community of women. Such path is the only
avenue to women participation in the decision-making processes of the
country!

A People united will never be defeated!
Long lives University Autonomy!

Port-au-Prince, July 31st, 2002.

KAYFANM         SOFA            ENFOFANM

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.