24213: lyall (discussion) cooking anko (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

I have to sigh. Soaking beans overnight drastically reduces the
cooking time. Haitians will not do this. I have demonstrated this but
the people in my house will not do it.

Most beans are cooked dry for hours and then made into sauce pwa.
Mashed and strained, with most of the fibre strained out. This
probably reduces the gas quotient.

I will bet a weeks pay that no one can taste the difference between
anything cooked over a wood fire, or charcoal fire, or propane fire.
No, make that a months pay. A clean burning kerosene burner could be
added to this mix.

Solar cookers are actually ovens, so the result will be different
than applying direct heat to the bottom of an aluminum pan. Beans
soaked overnight and put into a solar oven in the morning will be
ready to put into 'diri kole' (or mashed) in the afternoon at zero
cost.

Lots of people refuse to use kerosene lamps as well, preferring the
much more expensive candle/balen.

Stubborn wastefulness is very prevalent among the poor. Gaspiage.

--
J. David Lyall
http://www.lyalls.net/