25329: Pichard - (query to Haiti list) - Education/Literacy (fwd)

From: mercedes pichard <mercedespichard@earthlink.net>

Can anyone on this list tell me if there is currently a Ministry of Literacy
in Haiti?   If so, where is it, who heads it, and what general kinds of
activities are happening concerning improving Literacy in Haiti?  (Combatting
illiteracy, establishing adult literacy centers and the like, generating
publications, creating literacy texts in Creole or other languages,
formulating plans for the country as concerns the illiteracy rate, compiling
statistics, compiling lists of needs, etc., etc.?)

 Or is it true that it (the Ministry of Literacy) was abolished (as I read in
a May 2004 posting)?   If that is true, does anyone know of plans/development
of a timeline to replace it?

Thanks so much

Mercedes

mercedespichard@earthlink.net