25580: Craig (reply) re: 25546: Raber: the Commonwealth of Ayiti (fwd)

From Dan Craig (sak-pase@bimini.ws)

I believe a proposal for some protectorate status for Haiti would have been possible prior to the end of the Cold War -- say during the time of the 1915-34 occupation, or during World War II or after the Cuban revolution. Considering the current political climate in this country, if enabling legislation were introduced, I doubt that a Congressional committee would let it see the light of day. There's no pressing economic or political justification for it now and, considering the nation's debt load, only a suicidal member of Congress would champion the cause. The way things are, the US can wield the big stick of authority without taking on more responsibility.