25809: CB (ask) Idiomatic dictionary - Educa Vision (fwd)

From: c b <aussie_grimel@hotmail.com>

Hi

I'm currently assisting Fequiere Vilsaint, of Educa Vision, with the 2nd edition of his Haitian Creole Idiomatic Dictionary.

This dictionary provides idiomatic phrases in English, with its part of speech, Haitian Creole meaning, and an example using the phrase in Haitian Creole (for most entries).

The purpose of the dictionary is to assist both English and Haitian Creole speakers, as you communicate through these languages.

Some examples of entries and how they are set out in the dictionary:
at least  adv.  omwen, omwens. / Mwen gen omwen de zan depi mwen pa wè l.
a while ago adv. Talè a, titalè a, toutalè a. / Talè a m fèk wè yon kokenn aksidan.
deaf person  n.  soudè. / Te gen yon avèg, yon soudè, yon bèbè.
reinforced concrete n phr. beton ame. / N ap kouvri basen an ak yon beton ame pou n fè l tounen yon rezèvwa.

In order to make this dictionary as useful as possible, I was wondering if folk on the Corbett list might have some useful phrases to contribute.

Are there idiomatic phrases that you find particularly useful, in English or Haitian Creole?

Are there phrases you've had problems translating, either from English to Haitian Creole, or from Haitian Creole to English?

If you don't know meanings to the phrases you suggest, I will work with Fequiere to find them and add them to the dictionary.

Please email me directly with any contributions:  aussie_grimel@hotmail.com

I will be looking for responses until the end of July - only 6 days from today. Mesi davans.

When the dictionary is ready for purchase I will post the details on this list.

Educa Vision has a large number of Haitian Educational Materials. Some of the topics are: Reading, Writing; Literacy; Computer Programs; Novels; Social Studies; Films, CD’s and Video Tapes; Poetry; Culture; Theatre; Arts; Survival English/ESL; Dictionaries; Health; Learning Haitian-Creole; Parenting

Some examples:

English-Haitian Creole Phrase book with Useful Word list
Haitian-Creole Reader
Kreyòl Spell Checker
English-Creole Dictionary
Creole-English Dictionary
Pictorial Dictionary, 2nd ed
Science Dictionary / Diksyonè Syans Angle Kreyòl
Haitian-Creole Pronunciation Guide
Guide to Learning Haitian-Creole
Bilingual English/Haitian-Creole Dialogue on Audio Tapes
Basic English as a Second Language, Haitian Creole Edition
Diksyonè Kreyòl Vilsen
Dictionary of Haitian Creole Verbs
English Haitian Creole Medical Dictionary / Diksyonè Sante Angle Kreyòl
English Haitian Creole Legal Dictionary

Please take a look at their website for further information: www.educavision.com

Christine