25821: Anonymous: Re: 25811: Benodin: (comment) TWISTING THE TRUTH ABOUT JACQUES ROCHE (fwd)

Benodin's posting of Jean-Claude Jasmin's text makes very interesting reading. While many of the claims in this article are quite accurate, none of them confirm in any way that Father Jean-Juste is the murderer, intellectual or otherwise, of Jacques Roche. The whole thing resembles a political crime, and the best face we can put to it is to clearly state that what we have here from this government (of Latortue), is political justice. Nothing else. Nothing new either. While Father Jean-Juste uses what I personally consider to be extreme political language in this debate about the fate and future direction of Haiti, concluding that he killed journalist Jacques Roche is a bit over the top. The way that Roche died has the hallmark of possible extremists from the Lavalas camp. In the current political atmosphere, it thus makes perfect sense that Lavalas partisans ought to be considered prime suspects. To go from there and conclude, without a shred of either inferred or proven evidence, that Father Jean-Juste was the murderer is at best dubious, at worse dangerous and part of the classic Haitian political lynching. Haiti is living a period of political insanity, as usual of course. It only goes from bad to worse but no one is willing to admit that they had made their own mistakes in the process. Extremism is the rule and perhaps will always be, simply because it pays. Otherwise, why would so many vociferate instead of having serious and thoughtful debate over real matters of the State? Not even one day after the death of Jacques Roche for instance, the Minister of Culture of Haiti had already accused Lavalas of murder. Are they indeed investigating, or is their conclusion the only evidence they need to offer in order to convict? As hard as it may be for the numerous anti-Lavalas crowd to follow, these are the basic questions they have to answer first. How do you conclude without proof? In any case, can we blame the likes of Jasmin for his conclusion? Of course not. We can't. After all, the Minister of Culture herself, the Honorable Magalie Comeau Denis, had stated the same. Unfortunately, Jasmin has written about the lies being spread around without presenting a scenario in his article that clearly demonstrates that Jean-Juste is indeed the author of the horrific crime. Any reasonable person can and will attest to that but reason is not our forte, is it? Speaking extreme language in Haitian politics is nothing new. That's what pays; that's how one makes his and her fortune (political and otherwise). But thus far, we have yet to see anything good that comes out of this kind of extremism. Accusing (probably rightfully) Marguerite Laurent of Lavalas extremism does not make another less extreme in his views. The other side is as "extreme" as Laurent is. Voye monte is still paying off in Haiti, for either side. I am sure that should she set foot in Haiti, she will also be accused of having killed Jacques Roche, because she is rightfully considered very close to Aristide's point of view. Would that mean however, that Marguerite Laurent, Esq., is a crminal? Would this mean that she is indeed the author of the crime against Jacques Roche? Well, most on the list will probably conclude based on their political affiliation (Lavalas versus Convergence), which shows once more the aberrant nature of our politics. It is clear that for instance, that this "public clamor" had caused Father Jean-Juste some nice hitting in his head and face. But that's okay, isn't it, for he is not Pierre Paquiot the anti-Lavalas rector of university in Haiti. This was a different "public clamor". The Lavalas chimères were responsible for his injuries. That's Haiti's madness for you. That, it is. Either way, the essential point now is for the Haitian government to prove that Father Jean-Juste was indeed the author (intellectual or otherwise) of the murder of Jacques Roche. If proven, then the full weight of justice ought to be dropped on him. Otherwise, this is just one more case of aberrant stupidity in the Haitian political system. The executive branch decides before, and in some instances, in spite of the judiciary: the Neptune case has become a new classic in the repertory of our collective stupidity. Haiti makes no sense no more, not that it ever did but it's only getting worse. It seems sadly, that we haven't even reached the bottom yet. We seem to have a long way to go before we reach the very bottom. But by then, the world will probably laugh at us, simply. By the way, public clamor is no justice; it's only part of the judicial process until a judge and the written law can take over. Public clamor is no, I rewrite NO, substitute for justice. Now, the inexistent or failed Haitian State has to prove its investigative prowess by laying its case against Jean-Juste. If not, they'll have to free him. But that won't happen of course, Neptune too, is still in jail. Folks, if you think Haiti has reached its bottom yet, keep on dreaming. We sadly, very sadly got a long way to go.