25851: jedidiah (comment) PNH news (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

The director of the polis national haiti changed this week. The outgoing director seems to have been a miserable failure but he was praised and given a polite handshake. Tanti Jesse Coicou (sp?) was announcing kidnappers within the police force every week but nothing was done about the polis for the past year and a half of interim government. Kinda like giving the director of the penitentiary a golden handshake after he let 500 prisoners escape to start up this kidnapping wave.

Last month there was a pretty amusing affair which wasn't reported in the english language press. It was on a friday, I recall because I was on the way to the bibliotheque. Library. However you spell it in french. The day before someone had been arrested in thomassin, some big chimere who had been invading houses and raping everyone in the house. And their dogs.

So on a friday late in June there was a big hubbub. It was reported that minustah had taken possession of this prisoner from the PNH and had him at the airport. They were trying to get him out of the country and away from the patriotic haitian police. The suspect was a civilian employee of minustah and the minustah police were trying to stage a breakout. Reports went on that the CIVPOL people were taking over command of the police and trying to steal away all the foreigners that the PNH had in custody.

It was a great opportunity for nationalistic bombast. All the radio stations were talking about it. Some said that the airport had been closed by minustah, presumably so that a private plane could be brought in.

When I heard the commentators complaining that the canadians had been put in charge of the polis by the UN I was pretty happy. Apparently the security council actually did 'task' (military talk) the civpol with vetting every member of the police. Way past time.

So, the story that came out over the next few days was that this prisoner who was supposedly being spirited out of the country by minustah was being questioned at the polis station there. He may have been an employee of minustah, maybe not. He had seven different haitian ID cards and was a canadian citizen. He was talking about corrupt police within the PNH that he had been working with.

So. The final story (the important part, I lost track of which details were decided to be true) was that he was talking about the gangsters and kidnappers within the PNH whom he had been working with. The uproar was started by great haitian nationalists so that this prisoner could be rescued from the minustah and put back under the control of various forces within the PNH. So he could be disappeared.

Which polis station at the airport is something I've wondered. The only one I've noticed is the casserne out past the domestic airport. Aerodrome Guy Malary. That may be a Polis Judiciare station. Looks more like an army base, with tall walls.

They say that this new PNH director was formerly with the judicial police. Whatever a judicial police is; a rather mysterious designation. They are rumored to be one of the police forces who can be trusted. Why are there so many different police forces? What does the Polis Judiciare do?