25901: Blanchet: (comment and news) Haitien woman designated as Canada's Next Governor General (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

Dear friends it is with great excitement that I am conveying to you
the news that one of our sisters, Michaelle Jean, has been designated
as the next Governor General of Canada.  Although this position holds
no real power never the less it is a very prestigious one for it is
the position of official representative of her Majesty the Queen of
England in Canada.

Niece of fame Haitian author Rene Depestre, Michalelle has enjoyed a
long career as a journalist and news anchor at Radio Canada.  A
pioneer, not only as negro but also as a women, she has always
represented an object of pride for Canada's Haitian community.  Now,
with her new appointment she can be a beacon for all Haitians.

Haitian everywhere rejoice and be proud, we who have been tortured by
depressing news coming from Haiti we have at last a bit of good
news... let's enjoys it

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/08/03/gg050803.html?ref=r
ss

Jean called 'inspired choice' for governor general

Last Updated Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:17:13 EDT
CBC News

Michaelle Jean will be Canada's next governor general. The official
announcement will be made by Prime Minister Paul Martin at 11 a.m. ET
on Thursday.

"It's obviously a very exciting appointment. Here's someone who's
quite young, very dynamic, has a rapport with a lot of younger
audience," said Paul Benoit, of the Monarchist League of Canada.

At just 48 years old, the award winning journalist will become one of
the youngest governors general ever, the third woman in the job and
the first black person to call Rideau Hall home.

Jean, a journalist, is probably best known to English Canadians as
the host of The Passionate Eye and Rough Cuts on CBC Newsworld.

But her television career was launched in Quebec where she has worked
as a journalist, producer and host for the CBC's French language
services, SRC and RDI, since 1988.

She has worked as a correspondent for Le Point, hosted Le Monde ce
soir, L'Edition quebecoise, Horizons francophones, le Journal RDI and
RDI à l'écoute. Currently she is host of the French-language
documentary series Grands Reportages.

Jean has received many awards for her own documentary work including
the Amnesty International Journalism Award, the Anik Prize and the
Galaxi Award for best information program host.

Historian David Mitchell says Jean will play an important role, at a
critical time in Canada's history. "She will be a voice for Canada in
Quebec and she will represent the new Quebec to the rest of Canada
very effectively. She has that potential and that sense, this is an
inspired choice."

Jean was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. She left in 1968, her family
fleeing the oppressive regime of Francois 'Papa Doc' Duvalier,
settling in Quebec with her family. She is fluent in five languages:
French, English, Spanish, Italian and Haitian Creole.

A source close to the governor general selection process told CBC
News "Canadians will fall in love with this woman. Her story, her
nature and her character are nothing short of inspirational."

The prime minister will officially announce Jean's appointment on
Thursday morning. She'll be installed as Canada's 27th governor
general Oct. 1.

Copyright ©2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights
Reserved

All archives are now accessible via
http://www.ahadonline.org/lsIndex.asp
This email is provided as a service to our internet "community" and
should not be construed as an endorsement.

Serge Déclama
AHAD / Créole Connection
P.O. Box 158
Atlanta