25941: Vedrine (pub) Religion & Exploitation Of The Underdogs (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

RELIGION & EXPLOITATION OF THE UNDERDOGS

(by E .W. VEDRINE, 08-9-2005)

Five centuries ago, the Europeans used “religion” as a tool that went along with colonization and the slave trade.

Many of us, have nothing against any religion particularly if we are living in America where we have the “freedom of religion”. But some real critics will argue that it was used in a way to pacify the colonized people and the African slaves. Was it right then the way in which God’s name was used? When reading the book of Exodus (chapter 20, verse 7), it says: “Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain”.

Looking that influence of Christianity during colonial times, we pretty much doubt that the Catholic Church has ever condemned the massive atrocities committed against the native Americans and African slaves. Will they ever face justice for these outrageous crimes against humanity? Only God knows.

When reading about a so-called religious figure such as father Las Casas (in Caribbean history), "Protector Indians’ ", he convinced Spain (during colonial times) to replace the forced labor inflicted upon the Indians with Blacks from Africa. In other words, Black people were considered to be animals, and did not have a soul (1). It is hard for non-Blacks to feel what we went through and how we feel when looking at the past. From there as readers of the Bible, we can raise this question: Is the Bible racist and ethnocentric or those exploiters who are using it (in the wrong way) to justify their means?

Many of us do read about the Inquisition (2) in Europe, what the Jews and Muslims went through (particularly in Spain) and the role that the Catholic Church has played in it. I have mentioned in some of my comments “racism” against the Jews in Spain where I’ve mentioned the Sefardis. Looking at the atrocities of the Catholic Church in America, there were cases where they burned native Americans who did not want to be converted into Catholicism, observing the cruel behavior of the conquistadores who said they were Catholics and who read the Bible and one of the ten commandments says "thou shall not kill" (3).

There were and there is still a bunch of “fake missionaries” around the world (who want to impose a particular religion for some specific purposes). I don't want to point my finger at any, but it is quite clear when traveling to Europe that one will not see these people invading the European streets or neighborhoods as it is the case in third world countries. We pretty much doubt that we will find them in France or in any so-called “civilized countries”.

Talking about “religion”, it’s important to mention “spirituality”. The latter has to do with how zealous the individual behave in whatever s/he is doing, in other word the deepness of their belief in whatever they are doing (be it good or evil in our eyes). Some people who want to make fun of fake White missionaries say: “The Whites gave us the Bible and took away everything we had”. Well, no doubt that happened it in Africa and in many other places on this planet. At the same time, I am not saying that people should not believe in the word of God but they must be careful with devil disciples who are blaspheming the name Holy name of God, using the Holy scriptures to exploit the poor of third world countries or to keep them in bondage.

Many colonizers did use Christianity (in the wrong way) in order to “pacify” the colonized people and the African slaves. One of the books I would recommend to be read in this sense is "Viv Bondye, Aba Relijyon" (Long live God, Down with Religion) by Jafrikayiti. In this book, the author wants to shake up the traditional take on spirituality and faith and reclaim a domain he says is dominated by those who use organized religion to dive (4).

In conclusion, we should not force people to be converted in a religion (if we are true disciples) but rather preach what we believe in like sowing seeds everywhere and some will germinate. As a matter of fact, true disciples should have /show wisdom in their teachings and by that, they can draw followers. We have not read records in the new Testament where Jesus beat up, burned, exploit people in his teachings. All we see through him is wisdom and love.

Note:
(1) VEDRINE, E. W. “El debate entre Las Casas y Sepulveda”. University of Rhode Island. 1990

(2). INQUISITION - “The Spanish Inquisition was the Inquisition acting in Spain under the control of the Kings of Spain. This Inquisition was the result of the reconquest of Spain from the Muslims and the policy of converting Spanish Jews and Muslims to Christianity. The Inquisition was an important tool in enforcing the “limpieza de sangre” (Blood Cleansing ) against descendants of converted Jews or Muslims.” (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition)

(3). The commandment "thou shall not kill" ( Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 5:17), is better understood to mean "you shall not murder," most modern translations of the Bible rendered it this way. According to the Bible not all killing, the taking of a life, is murder. Murder is the unlawfully taking of human life. The command not to murder applies to human beings, not to killing animals or plant life for food. God gave animals to mankind for his use ( Genesis 1:26-30; 9:1-4). But, this does not mean that humans have the right mistreat animals and the environment ( Genesis 2:15; Deuteronomy 22:6-7; 25:4; Proverbs 12:10). (Ref. http://www.biblestudy.org/question/notkill.html)

(4) STEVENS, Brian. “No to Organized Religion, It's Spirit that Counts”. Haitian Times. May 2000