25979: Fouche (reply) to Vedrine (article): Haitians And The Myth About Blacks Dont Read (fwd)

From: "[UTF-8] Rachel FouchÃ" <rfouche@verizon.net>

You bring up some salient issues about the level of literacy within the Black and Haitian communities, however I think the Haitian immigrant community may have a slight edge in that education has always held an esteemed role in Haitian culture, regardless of the literacy of the parents. I cannot recall being read to as a child, but I do remember the weekly trips to the library and the look my father would give us if we thought we were going to walk out of there WITHOUT a book in hand!

Haitian children who currently immigrate to the US -- and have had some level of education in Haiti -- often suffer from a peculiar learning disability which is just now being recognized. Because Haiti is a bi-lingual country, young children who go to school are often not grounded in the grammar/syntax of either language (this has started to change, but many Haitian families still send their children to French instruction schools, yet speak only Creole at home -- learning to read and write in one language, and speak in another). When they immigrate to the US, a third language in which they must read, speak, and write is introduced -- but for more and more newer Haitian immigrants, this proves to be an extremely difficult task, as they do not have a comparative model of written/spoken syntax, especially if their parents can only provide spoken instruction in one language.

Those of us who grow up in multilingual households -- regardless of socio-economic level -- can develop linguistic "peculiarities." My educated parents immigrated to the US in the 70s, and although I have become a stickler for written English grammar, my childhood friends continually rib me about the concept of "loan" and "borrow" -- which in French and Kreyol are a matter of the adverb, not the verb itself. "Do you want to loan this from me?" was my big one, but I grew up in a community where a majority of the children were first or second generation immigrants who still had active exposure with their parent's or grandparent's mother tongue (usually a Romance language).

For Haitian children entering the school system today, bilingual education has suffered a financial and social erosion at a time when it is needed the most. More and more children do not acquire the basics of the English language through grammar and spelling; it has been supplanted by Whole Language learning, which in my opinion only is effective in English-literate families. And their "indigenous" classmates have been fully absorbed into the English-speaking culture, adding additional pressure to reduce funding for bilingual education.

Research into children that have suffered extreme isolation has pointed to the fact that grounding in the syntax of one language is essential before puberty. For the Haitian immigrant child/youth, they often only skim the surface of three non-mutually intelligible languages, never becoming linguistically proficient in any language. We, as a community, need to lobby for tri-lingual education in Kreyol, French, and English -- and I think we are the largest immigrant group in the US who needs this type of instruction for our youth -- and the reintroduction of grammar and spelling in diverse classrooms. Boring stuff? You bet -- but I thank my lucky stars that I went through spelling bees and sentence diagrams so I can effectively communicate my ideas (although I still have to think about how to use the words "loan" and "borrow" ).

In addition, those of us who have been in the US for decades need to actively mentor newer Haitian immigrants on advocating for their children in the school system. Because the teacher is truly revered in Haitian culture (making the low pay worthwhile in my opinion), parents are often reluctant to demand services for their youth as "the teacher knows best." But as US schools have been called upon to provide more social services at the same level of staffing, teachers are often unable to address all the learning problems of all their charges -- especially if the parents do not take an active participation in the child's learning, whether by fault or by inadequacy. My parents, both a product of the strict Haitian school system, would always go to PTA night -- even if they never understood the US school system (my father informed many of my elementary school teachers that it was OK to inflict corporal punishment if I did something wrong, even though it had been outlawed in Massachusetts).

We have to take an interest in our childrens' education whether they are linked to us by blood or by the street on which we live. My next door neighbors were (White) French Canadian, and my mother and these ladies would converse in "Franglais" as they gardened outdoors or hung laundry. These elderly ladies would make it their business to ask about what I learned in school on almost a daily basis. When another Haitian family who were from the same part of Haiti that my mother came from (we also shared some cousins as well), I had more people to answer to about my school activities for the day -- and if I did well, more praise to receive as well!

However, when more Haitian families moved into our city (and on our street), my mother did not extend the same neighborliness to them, as they were "san savez" yokels not related to our family in any way who hung their clothing on the fence and were loud; when I caught her making disparaging remarks about these Haitians who did not have the same access to education as she had, I challenged her to assist these people with learning the ropes instead of her (and our first Haitian neighbor) ridiculing these people as unsophisticated. And if I had lived at home at the time, I would have offered to tutor their children because of the simple fact that Haitians have to stick together despite the social chasms that divide our homeland and community internally. That is certainly the American part of my Haitian American-ness -- which we would all do better to develop before our country and culture collapse underneath its petty social structure.

Rachel FouchÃ