25984: (reply)Kathleen Re: 25978: Raber (reply) Re: 25970: Vedrine (article): Haitians And The Mith About Blacks Dont Read (fwd)

From: kathleenmb@adelphia.net

 "Richer than me you will never be, for I had a mother who read to me."
I don't  remember the source of the quote, but I do remember my father, a day laborer and Irish immigrant, buying a second-hand set of the BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE for us kids, and my mother (also an immigrant, with 8 years of education to my father's 6) reading to us and taking us to the library until we were old enough to go ourselves (I used to bring a shopping bag).  She taught me to read before I went to school (probably to get me out of her hair).
I used to dream of the Sawyer free Library in Gloucester when living in Papay
There is talk among some of the diaspora of funding a library in Hinche. I hope it happens.  A Haitian friend has asked for books for her daughter, and I always bring children's books with me when I go, and gave away many adult books last year (before the poudbois claimed them).Sure some were sold.  I hope they were read.  Locking up books away from children is very sad.  Kathleen