26020: Allen: (comment) The Simeus Candidacy (Opinion) (fwd)

From: Dr JAAllen <drallen@perio.us>

The Simeus candidacy

Last week, Mr. Dumarsais Simeus added his name to the already lengthy list
of presidential candidates. His situation is unique in that he is the first
and only known foreign national to seek office in Haiti. Mr. Simeus claims
to be a Haitian citizen, but admits that he is also an American citizen. The
logic of his situation is elementary: the Haitian constitution only
recognizes one nationality to Haitians; since Mr. Simeus is by his own
admission an American he is therefore no longer a Haitian.  Besides, the
constitution also requests that all Haitian candidates live at least 5 years
in Haiti prior to seeking the office of the presidency.  To hear him talk,
it is a mere technicality; he is still a citizen of both countries, and he
has two residences, in Texas and in Haiti.
            This case would be a no-brainer, if Mr. Simeus did not have such
a stellar reputation. He is known to be a straight shooter, an excellent CEO
and an innovator.  I have yet to hear a negative word about him. Those who
know him, and they are many in the Haitian private sector, believe that he
is an asset for Haiti and can help us in ways that many others cannot. Some
have even suggested that at the risk of compromising principles, we should
let this impressive individual take us to the "promised land".
            The preoccupation should not be about Mr. Simeus, but about
principles. The disaster we have on our hands today in Haiti is because time
and again we Haitians have often put aside principles to the benefit of
those we trusted. The CONACOM in 1990 violated its rules and bypassed its
elected candidate, Victor Benoit, to the benefit of the "great savior"
Aristide. The rest is history. John Locke in the 17 century said it best:
"Wherever law ends, tyranny begins, if the law be transgressed to another's
harm." We should not substitute Mr. Simeus' judgment to the constitution of
Haiti, because we are so desperate for a capable leader. For if we do, there
will be plenty of times he will be tempted to do it again, since he will
cease to be a citizen beholden to the people and limited by the checks and
balances provided by that same constitution. I am not suggesting that Mr.
Simeus' intentions are not noble, I am simply not willing to let him be king
and start transgressing laws even before being in power. It is my belief
that Mr. Simeus could help Haiti in other capacities or at least start by
renouncing his American nationality, if he wants to commit to Haiti full
time as an elected official.
            There is one puzzling element in all this: the political and
business class is not even outraged about this highly irregular situation.
The 184+ that last week was lambasting Charles-Henri Baker for what they
call a "non-institutional" candidacy, are silent about the outright illegal
candidacy of Mr. Simeus, who is also an independent. Could it be that Simeus
has neutralized Andy Apaid because the latter has nationality questions of
his own? It is very possible that Mr. Apaid had renounced his American
citizenship, but since it is not public knowledge, one can only speculate as
to the deafening silence of the 184+.   Whatever the reasons, they have
remained silent on the most important principle-based question of these
elections.  They are still the "good guys", but they could be seen as less
than principled in this story.
            Despite Dumarsais Simeus' enormous talent, the way things stand,
the CEP should reject his candidacy and the political and business sectors
should denounce this attempt to bypass the constitution of Haiti. We do not
need another messiah who knows best; we need a principled man who can lead
this nation while demonstrating the ability to respect its laws.  Only if he
does, will a Simeus have the credibility to amend the current constitution,
change the bad laws and help put us on a path to a modern, sustainable
democratic process.

Joseph A. Allen DDS,
Miami, Florida