26021: JRigson: REPLY Books in Creole (fwd)

From: jrigdon@researchonline.net

I have been diligently searching for about 4 months and unless I am greatly
mistaken, the universe of Creole books is somewhat less than a hundred
titles - most published by Educa Vision www.educavision.com

I have a few other links on my web site at www.researchonline.net/haiti but
most are brochures and booklets and have little relevance to people in
Haiti - such as How to Apply for a Social Security Card, How to register
your child for school, etc.

I have found a dozen Bible Study lessons for children and I understand that
the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Port Au Prince has a set of Sunday
School lesson plans that he has / is considering publishing.

The book, Where There is No Doctor (Kote ki pa gen dokte) is available, but
as far as I can tell, most other medical / scientific texts are in French.

There was a news release about a month back that the "Ministry of Education"
had just spent some astronomical amount on textbooks for the coming year,
but I have been unable to track down what they were, who published them, and
where they went.

There was also a comment on this list within the past week that Cambridge
University had developed some number of items, but had put them on hold due
to the current situation.

For myself, as a publisher of Civil War books and CDs, I am agressively
looking for titles I can publish.  I am especially interested in health /
first aid, first/easy readers, and Bible Study materials, but so far have
found very little.

Some years back our Church was involved in a drive to collect technical
books, medical texts, and such for shipment to a University in Kenya.  The
project was a great success and I have been wondering if a similar drive for
books primarily in English, but maybe some French titles, would be of use.

John Rigdon
Tools and Resources for Haiti
http://www.researchonline.net/haiti