26066: Dailey re#26015- Simidor & Simeus (fwd)

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

Evidently Daniel Simidor looks with disfavor on the prospect of a conservative Republican and Bush crony buying his way into the National Palace, and asks "Who sent him?" Nobody, I submit. Although Dumarsais Simeus seems to have spent the last 45 years in the U.S. I have no doubt that in his heart of hearts he is a true Haitian since he is apparently one of the thousands of men, including some on this list, who believe they have heard the call and wake up each morning convinced it is their destiny to be Haiti's president.

In the United States for the last twenty years or so, being a millionaire has been a prerequisite for anyone aspiring to higher office and there have been any number of wealthy political novices whose supporters have argued that success in business is an adequate substitute or even preferrable to experience in government. Some of these candidacies, like Ross Perot's, have been downright bizarre and scary, others, like Donald Trump's periodic testing of the waters, have plumbed the very depths of brainlessness and vulgarity. And still others, like Jon Corzine or Mike Blumberg, who have purchased elective positions, seem to be competent public servants.

However, the argument that Simeus's wealth is a guarantee against corruption is specious. I have never heard of a rich man who wasn't seeking to enrich himself further and unless Simeus is prepared to place his vast fortune at the disposal of his associates with instructions to help themselves I doubt that the customary plundering of the public treasury will even be interrupted, much less halted.

"Haiti's problem" has never been a shortage of capable people but a political culture and dynamic that is capable of taking someone who has spent most of his life in a seminary, mentored by wise, courageous, and selfless liberation theologians and transform him into a corrupt and authoritarian ruler whose sole interest is holding on to power in a matter of only a few years.

Haiti needs a government of laws and not men. And since Article 135 is entirely straightforward and unambiguous, one sincerely hopes that some court or commission will issue a ruling disqualifying Mr. Simeus, and do it soon.

I for one hope that Simeus does return to Haiti. Let him apply his talents and invest his money in the economic development of the Artibonite. This should be a fulltime job. If he succeeds then it might be appropriate to consider a political role for him, a place in the cabinet or in the Chamber of Deputies. I am not aware of anything in the Haitian Constitution that would bar a blan with strong opinions about how things can be set right in Haiti from seeking those positions.

Pierre Dalais