26135: Raber: (Ask) Word origin (fwd)

From: PM Raber <raber88@zoominternet.net>

I was reading a newspaper editorial where the author described the behavior of a group as that of a bunch of "capons". Immediately, the Creole word "Kapon" (a fearful person) came to mind. I looked up the word. "Capon" in English means a castrated rooster (I did not know you could castrate a rooster!). The equivalent word in French is "Chapon". The Creole word is closer to English. Anybody on the list knows the origin of the Creole word "Kapon"? could it be that it originated from the Cap Haitian area where English was more prevalent? I was previously told that many other words ( Bokit /Bucket) came directly from English. By the way, how does a castrated rooster behave? Is he fearful?