26157: Rowley (responds)Re: 26154: Walton: (Project ) Educating Haiti's Children - Will they still be "Haitian?" (fwd)

don_rowley@yahoo.com

At Hope International's project Hope For Haiti www.hopeforhaiti.org we have
made
it our direction to find existing schools, run by Haitians with Haitian
teachers and help them to do what they already do.

We monitor that the children get meals are taught  the 3 R's and that staff is
paid AND stay out of the cultural picture.

As a Christian organization all of our work is done through local churches
where
we find in most cases the Pastor is also the principil. But the model of using
Haitians to teach Haitians helps to keep the culture alive.

Don Rowley,
Associate Director/Overseas Ministries
Hope International, Inc.
don_rowley@yahoo.com