26185: Bassiouni: (reply) == more on Haiti and New orleans --Re: 26183: Wilcken (reply) 26182: Bassiouni: (reply on Haitians in New Orleans) Re: 261762: Wilcken (reply) 26164: RE: Davis on Katrina and Haitians (fwd)

From: Nathan Bassiouni <sove_ayiti@mac.com>

I apologize also. I am familiar with La Troupe Makandal and I attended one workshop below my home at Ashe African Culture community center and I believe I saw some your members in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. I did not mean that La Troupe Makandal catered to tourist, but rather Vidho & Maryse did. Vidho sold paintings to tourists, Maryse played music from the Diaspora, like a world music show, which did not really appeal to the local Haitian community, but rather to professors, students of culture and medicine, and world travelers.

I regret to tell you that Arabi was another area hit very badly and that will probably remain underwater due to it's location by the river, the industrial canal and surrounded by coastal bayous. Arabi is in Saint Bernard Parish and Katrina's eye traveled directly over Arabi, Michoux, Meraux & Chalmette. The mississippi and canal levees broke in this area and they immediately received over 20 feet of water making the rooftops not places of refuge, which caused widespread drownings. This the area of town is where the gov't and media are censoring because everything is underwater since sunday night last because the people that went to their roofs from rising waters drowned and most of the dead are floating in the debris, unlike where I was rescuing in 10-15 feet of water where roofs are exposed and attics are dry, but most of the dead in my search and rescue area will be found dead later in their homes or dead from the heat in their attics. I hope you did not have people that tried to ride out the storm there because that is the worst hit area of town, as well as Plaquemines Parish. look at the map of Arabi on msn.com Just goto the menu on the right of the screen and click maps. type Arabi, LA and you will see that Arabi was completely surrounded by water before the hurricane.

May I ask you for help? I'm homeless and I've lost most of things, including my diplomas. Transcripts are not available. My best friend is in Brooklyn recording music, but he is from Esplanade area of New Orleans. He has lost all his musical equipment, computer, and clothes he did not pack for his short stay in NY. He is trying to find a place for my daughter, my girlfriend and I to stay while I approach CIA school in Hyde Park for a culinary degree to eventually move to Martinique, Guadeloupe, or Saint Martin. My studies have been focused on helping Haiti, but I was angry at what the U.S. government was doing there, as well as the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Columbia. I don't want to study this anymore because I am to the point that all I can do now is fight like the heroic Cacos did during the Haitian Invasion in the 1917. But that is not doable.....yet. So I want to denounce my U.S. citizenship and leave this country forever and live a peaceful life in the Antilles somewhere ( I also have French citizenship). Because everything I love culturally about New Orleans is present in the Caribbean, and everything I hate about New orleans is American, i.e. crack, murder of black men by black men, prostitution, heroin, crooked cops, very poor funded schools, teenage pregnancy....etc. Is Hyde Park, NY commutable from Brooklyn or other boroughs in NYC?

Thank you.

Nathan Bassiouni
225-279-7951
or