26617: Vedrine (reply) RE: 26608: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti sets Dec. 27 election date (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

This is FUNNY! How much time will the current government have to handle over power to the next one (by going through all the dossiers and deeds)? Something that would require at least two months in advance (if “transparency” matters) where the two teams would work on a 7/7 basis around the clock. And, if they are going to count the ballots by hand (since most Haitians would not trust Mr. Computer to do that), it’s something that would take more than a week. I guess TIMING here is a crucial issue in the handling of power over. Votes, of course, would be splitting (if FAIR elections do take place) which will make it a bit harder for a candidate to get “50% + 1” in order to to get elected; therefore, the possibly of a run-off if quite high which will of course, shrink time more to meet the February 7, 2006. Any way, I wish the president elect /select the very best to lead Haiti the next 5 years (without any coup d'etat).

E.W.Vedrine: Editor/Translator
http://www.palli.ch/~kapeskreyol/bibliographie/vedrine.html
P.O.Box 255110 - Boston, MA. 02125-5110(USA)