=?x-unknown?q?28248=3A__jhudicourtb_=28reply=29Re=5BISO-8859-1=5D?==?x-unknown?q?_=3A_28226=3A=A0_Morse=28comment=29_Haiti's_energ?==?x-unknown?q?y_future_=28fwd=29?=

jhudicourtb@aol.com

Trash is a viable source of fuel.

The Brazilians are supposed to be world experts on biodiesel (using your
trash to make fuel).   In the US   a lot of biodiesel is made from used cooking

oil mixed with diesel fuel in 80/20 proportion.   Many of the buses run on
those

at Harvard and in the city of Cambridge . It is cleaner burning and less
asthma causing.    Apparently Brazilians make it with orange peels. (Haitians
use
orange peels as lighter fluid for their CHABON).

Another alternative is called fuel-cell which runs on hydrogen and the
bi-product is water, pure H20.   The issue with this is producing the hydrogen
which
also takes energy.   In some places solar energy is used to produce the
hydrogen, extracting it from air or water.   It is a very clean process.
Apparently
an energy dealer tried very hard to get the transitional gov't to buy one of
these units but the minister of public works countered the orders of big
Gerard.   There is a way.   There is no will.

Wind energy is also becoming very popular.   The city of Hull, Massachusetts
just installed a wind turbine to supplement it's energy needs. The fight to
install a group of wind turbines in Nantucket Sound (between the mainland and
the island of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket) is one of the biggest issues
around here in Massachusetts.   The people who have expensive vacation homes
out

there think the wind turbines will spoil the view.   In fact, the
Port-au-Prince bay maybe another ideal site for wind turbines.   I have heard
it
said that
the reason for choosing the location of the wind turbines,   off the coast in
Massachusetts, was that there is most wind in the ocean but that having the
two big islands, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard will protect the turbines
themselves.   So it sounds   like PAP bay may be a very good place for wind
turbines.   Lagonav would protect them.

Those who make money in the purchase of petroleum may be against alternative
solutions.    There are much better solutions available than what is currently
used in Haiti.   Solar is good for some things but economically it won't work
for air-conditioning and electric cooking.   There are also many great
lighting solutions .   The new kind of lightbulbs called LED (light emitting
diods)
burns very little energy.   I have been buying LED flashlights as presents for
people in Haiti for several years now.   The bulbs and the batteries last a
very long time.   The bulbs are all a very small size but you can get
flashlights and light fixtures made of several little LED"S.   They used to be
available only in specialty catalogs, but now they are everywhere, K-mart,
Target,
wherever....
The energy problems in Haiti (in fact all the problems are Haiti)   are not
unsolvable.   It is just that those in charge have not wanted to solve them.

My personal opinion is that Haiti should probably not invest to much in
rewiring the whole city of PAP into one grid.   The hanging wires are
susceptible
to sabotage and accidents.   I think the city should invest in small turbines
or fuel-cells by neighborhoods.   Because, in fact if hydrogen was readily
available a silent,   clean burning, refrigerator size fuel-cell could replace

10 kilowatt generator for a high energy house.    I have seen the effect of
some of the current diesel generator on things near them.   I saw that the
Kinam

Hotel's neigbor's trees are dying and covered with black stuff.   I am sure
that black stuff is bad for people too.

----- End forwarded message -----