29905: Meta (Re:) Dr. Ertha Pascal-Trouillot (fwd)

From: Angela Mata <completelynicole@yahoo.com>
Subject: Dr. Ertha Pascal-Trouillot

Hello,

I am an Afro-American with a keen fascination with all things Haitian. I am especially interested in the work of Edwige Danticatt - who has become my favorite contemporary writer - and Mme. President Trouillot whom I have only known about for a week.

I was looking for the local weather forecast for Port-au-Prince as part of an exercise that I had to do for my computer class when I stumbled upon a picture and a brief biographical sketch of the former First Lady of Haiti. I was amazed by my discovery. For the past three years, I have been reading articles, books and essays on Haiti, but I had somehow managed to completely look over Mme Trouillet. I was amazed! She is beautiful and so intelligent that her pictures brings a smile to my face. As a black woman, her accomplishments fill me with pride....even though she never smiles! Mme. Trouillot entered office in the same year that I graduated from high school. Unfortunately, I knew close to nothing about Haiti in those days. I am thankful for your website and the various Haitian search engines that I have found online. I have learned so much via this new age of technology!

I did read somewhere that Dr. Trouillot chooses to live a somewhat reclusive life these days, shunning the public eye. I assume that this this is largely due to the humiliation that she incurred at the end of her term. It has been reported that she has given numerous lectures at seminars and universities around the world since then and has resumed her interest in writing and Haitian law.

I would love to know what she is doing now, where in the world she is, and whether or not you have any updated pictures of her. If you do, then would you mind sharing them on your website?

I would also like to know what the Haitian community's impression of her is all along. Was she and/or is she still considered a political charlatan because of her alleged attempt at a coup d'etat? Or is she a hero, especially among Haitian woman.

Another thing that interests me is class destinction in Haiti. I understand that this is determined by skin color which seems strange to an Afro-American born during the heyday of the so-called "Black Power Movement" here in the States. Your website has a complete list of Haitian Presidents wich includes Mme. Trouillot. On this list, she is classified as "light". Not that it matters, but this shocked me because she appears to be my complexion, and I consider myself BLACK! What makes me proud is seeing a photo of this GORGEOUS black woman with prominent African features (she even has braids in one picture) who has managed to accomplish so much with her life. So does skin color also determine a particular state of mind - do (or did) these people whom you have labeled as black, dark, and light consider themselves something other than Black or African-American due to their high social status?

And would you happen to know what class Mme Trouillot belonged to before her outstanding academic and professional achievements? Is she now considered a part of Haiti's so-called "elitist" class? Does she speak English?

I am an ameteur artist and writer who has created a complex comic book series that is heavily based on African and Afro-American mythology and history. My research on Haiti has served me significantly during my creative phase. So impressed was I by Mme. Trouillot that I have worked diligently, night and day, creating a character that is largely based on her life and achievements. I must say that this particular short story is now my favorite which is largely due to my passion for the subject.

Howbeit, I cannot help but wonder how the Haitian people feel about Mme. Trouillot collectively. Would you say that she is a hero to most? In spite of my interest in her, I would hate to promote her as a hero if she has done more harm than good in the eyes of her compatriots.

  Please write back whenever time permits.  I am VERY anxious to hear from you!

  Peace and Blessings,
  Angela Nicole Mata

always stay connected to friends.