#15: democracy in Haiti : Conde comments

Title: Re: democracy in Haiti : Gill asks
Perhaps Haitian lawyers or historians of the Haitian constitutions are best qualified to answer this question, but we can argue that this "talk of democracy" began at least the day that the constitution(s) instituted a legislative branch of government along side a judiciary to "check and balance" the power of the executive. I can hardly imagine such debate taking place outside the theoretical realm of "democracy", representative or otherwise.
Since 1804, official documents of the Haitian government have been bearing these terms: Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite, Republique d'Haiti. Given the history of "liberte, egalite, fraternite", the concept has been familiar and much discussed there since the time of the colony. It fact it must have precipitated its demise. L'Union Fait la Force.
Alix Conde