#47 Re: #45: Creole, Poincy replies

From: Jean Poincy <caineve@idt.net>

Allow me a bit of sarcasm here. If the linguists/intellectuals, who
should promote the language as a full blown language or influence the
government on the importance of using it as such, refuse to do that and
rather doing "laboratory experiments" with speech/sounds, I can
understand why the Ministry of Ayitians
Living Abroad does not find it necessary to publish two versions of the
letter.

	Ayitians grew up with the complex that speaking Ayitian is ashame,
while it is the language they speak best. An intellectual or a man of
government does not wish to use this vernacular language reserved to the
illiterate masses. They firmly believe that "creole" is one the worst
thing that can ever happen to the nation. When we have the scientists
working to improve the language keep insisting on the "creoleness" of
the language with all its pejorative determinants attached to it, how do
we expect them to act other than refusing the language that seems to
them an embarassment.

	These linguists are working closely with the authorities to persuade
them that the language is creole, better yet Ayitian creole.
Subsequently, these authorities do their best to convey the demeaning
way of relating to the language. For the sake of Ayiti or pride, one
could say let's boost the image of the language in order to wash out the
inferiority complex or the negativities attached to the word "creole".
One could say, since we are the experts, they will believe us, let's
persuade the government to rename the language Ayitian. Other countries
do make things bigger than they are to motivate their people or elevate
them; what would be wrong if Ayiti does likewise?

	We will see a big difference even in the way the people will begin to
view themselves. At least there will be one thing they really created
and truely possess; it's called Ayitian and its theirs. Put aside all
the linguistic diatribes and act on pride to create a psychological
effect on the people. That counts a lot in helping a people move ahead.
Meanwhile the linguists would still continue their work to make it
better everyday. They would have to in order to make the language live
up to itself. It would be a challenge to the scientists, unless they
don't like challenge.

	When all of them have a perception that creole is not a language and
experts keep calling it creole, but not in the same way they do, their
perception is reinforced and they will never feel proud using it. Say
it's Ayitian, they will be too happy to show what they speak is theirs.
What I thought was going to be sarcastic turns out to be serious.

Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
Mozeb