# 56: Ah another rare book on the Haitian Revolution

Today I got a lift of spirits just after having arrived home from
the doctor saying I need knee surgery again!  The mail had come
and a book I've wanted since I learned of it back in 1985 had arrived
for my library.  It is an 1889 doctoral dissertation. I NEVER thought
it ever would turn up, but it did from a dealer in the Dominican Republic!!

The new addition is:

THE EARLY YEARS OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION IN SAN DOMINGO. By
Herbert Elmer Mills.  Presented to the faculty of the Cornell
University as a thesis for the degree of doctor of philosophy.
July, 1889.  Press of A.Y. Haight, Poughkeepsie, NY.

It is 98 pages, no bibliography which is surprising, but tons of
footnotes.  The copy can't have been read with care since about
30% of the pages haven't even been cut yet.  I'll have to do that
great delicatness.

A real treasure.  I can't wait to see what surprises, if any, that
it may hold.  My fondest hope is that it might contain some hints
between the role of the Masons in France and how this carried
over to San Domingue.  This has never been very clear to me.

Ah, even though it brings me my bills, I do love the mail!

Bob Corbett