#97: Injections in Haiti and AIDS: several related replies

From:Nlbo@aol.com

Dear Corbetland,
Can a doctor, a nurse , or someone in the medical field help me figure out
why injections (piki as we say in Creole) are administered so frequently in
Haiti? The only time I or my children get injected here in the U.S is to get
immunized.
It seems that in Haiti, every medicine comes in form of injections.
My mother was a nurse in Haiti. I remember  she is used to give me those
injections with those big needles for no reason. I don't think I was even
sick then. Why is that?
Many Haitians  in the U.S even lament that doctors here  are not as competent
as those in Haiti because when you go to them they don't prescribe you any
medicine or even give you a "piki". (injection)
Can someone please  comment on that phenomenon?
Nekita

==========================

From: cjstockdale@juno.com

It could be a fall back to frequent trips to vaccinate in Haiti, by
mission doctors and nurses, and it could also be a fall back to the early
injection of antibiotics that seemed like miracle drugs, because they
worked so quickly on bacterial illnesses.  Americans (in my experience as
an American nurse) DO NOT want injections, so the market would (and has)
provided mostly oral medications.  Maybe the needle has a majical quality
in   Haiti?

Deb Stockdale

From: ForHaiti@aol.com

In a message dated 7/3/99 10:26:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,