#167: Miami vs. New York? : Fuller asks

From:Affuller@aol.com

	Can anyone help explain why the Haitian community in Miami seems so
much more strongly defined and prominent than that of New York.  I am often
struck by the number of articles in the Miami Herald about developments in
the community -- their radio programs, local politicians, problems of the
elderly.  Nothing like this ever appears in the New York press.  Is the
Herald more enlightened? The community in New York is larger and older; yet
there are very few broadcast radio programs--two shows for a few hours on
Sunday.  Is this because everyone buys Radio Soleil d'Haiti and the other
pay-radio, I forget its name?  New York does publish two Haitian newspapers
and Miami just one, but still...

	Is the Miami Haitian community larger in relation to its city than
New York's?  Is it more concentrated in one area?   Is Miami simply more
conscious of its immigrant communities while New York ignores them because so
much else is going on?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Anne Fuller