#200: Hmmm... Re: #191: Players sacrifice for kids in Haiti: Kaufman comments

From: Joanne Kaufman <joanne_jake_@hotmail.com>

I am really touched by and appreciate the baseball players' willingness to
share.  But please excuse me if I'm a little skeptical.

In 1996, I visited Mr. Theodore's project along with some MPP leaders who
wanted our small Christian human rights organization to see what happens
when the donors are out of town.

We first visited with Mr. Theodore in his mansion (and truly it was for a
town like Ranquitte!) next to his very nice church building.  He told us
about his children who were educated in the United States and are working as
doctors and lawyers in Miami.  Then we went to the orphanage on the edge of
town.

Many of the children were out working for people outside of town.  A few
were scattered around the orphanage grounds with no adult supervision.  We
were shown the children's rooms -- beds were scattered willy-nilly around
the cement rooms.  Some had no sheet, some had no mattress, some had no
blanket, most had no pillow at all.  There were no closets, storage areas or
anything else.

Our hosts told us that when the foreign donors come around, the children
wear new clothes and have toys, etc.  When the donors disappear, the clothes
and toys do too.  If I had my Haiti stories disk at hand, I would forward a
story we wrote about this; unfortunately the public library wouldn't let me
insert my disk in their hard drive anyway...

But -- given the kind of house and lifestyle that the good pastor was
living, I wonder where the donations so generously offered to his children
for his pet project are really going.  Anyone want to look into it?

Joanne "Jake" Kaufman
Christian Peacemaker Teams