#269: Personal journey ...: Bellegarde-Smith replies to Antoine

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999,

> From: Guy Antoine <GuyAntoine@windowsonhaiti.com>
>

> A quick look at my Webster's reveals humanism as "A philosophy
> in which man, his interests, and development are made central
> and dominant, tending to exalt the cultural and rational elements
> of man rather than the supernatural or speculative."  I believe
> Guy S. Antoine
	>
> The scholars (European) who have studied all African religions, have
always made the point that these are "humanistic" religions, meaning that
the human person (male and female) is at the center of the universe.
Webster's definition is also valid, except that the distinction is not
between the natural or the supernatural, but that all of it is part of
nature writ large. (We don't happen to fully understand nature at the
moment, that's all). P. Bellegarde-Smith