#471: Help in Creole: Vedrine replies to Nozier

From: Emmanuel W. Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

It's something that writers (creolists or not) have to be careful with and I
published an article last year (ref. "Haitian American News", a Haitian
monthly newspaper based in Massachusett). We can not take a complete liberty
to rewrite someone's name (just because we can jot down some sounds of a
particular language). People have the copyright of themself. So, for the
sake of respect, I would suggest that someone the names the way the original
is written, and if someone would like to kreyolize it for fancy linguistic
sounds, write the kreyolized version in parentheses. Nekita Lamour came up
few days ago with a good thought: "Let the people lead and leaders follow
them".

E.W.Vedrine