#639: Re: #622: Man charged with abusing family's young housemaid : Press conference to protest

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

We (the Haitian American Grassroots Coalition of Miami) are holding a press
conference on Monday in Miami about this subject: the objective is to first
express our outrage at this anachronistic practice, second encourage other
similarly situated children to come forward . We are also appealing to
families who can take the child into their home to come forward.

We know that we will be asked to describe the practice in Haiti and while we
understand that in most cases the restavek system can be explained in the
context of poverty and despair we are sensitive to the fact that it may be
perceived as a justification of this system. We would appreciate some
feedback about how best to handle this issue with the press.

We will take the opportunity to point out that a lot of children find
themselves in this situation, because of immigration, undocumented parents
are deported and Citizen children stay behind. the AIDS epidemic has also
left many orphan who must now live alomost like restaveks in some cases with
relatives. This is of course totally anectodal since there has be minimal
documentation of these cases.

We would ask for any material about the practice in Haiti.

Thank you