#745: Navassa " A follow-up

From: Médard <amedard@gte.net>

I guess I found answers to my own questions (post #727 ) at :
<http://www.CMC-Ocean.org/navassa/navassa.php3>

     "Navassa's History

     Located in the Greater Antilles in the Jamaica Passage
     approximately 70 miles northeast of Jamaica and 40 miles
     west of Haiti, the island of Navassa was first discovered by
     crewmen of Christopher Columbus in 1504 and has been under
     U.S. jurisdiction since 1857. In that year, the island was
     claimed under the U.S. Guano Act of 1856, which provided
     that any uninhabited island containing guano could be
     claimed as a U.S. territory.

     Although it lacks fresh water and is not readily accessible,
     the island has experienced episodic human habitation and
     related activities that resulted in  modification of the
     terrestrial ecosystem and lesser known impacts on its
     marine environment. Most significant was a substantial
     removal of the former cap of phosphate-rich soils in the
     mid-nineteenth century. Another period of human impacts took
     place early this century, when the U.S. Coast Guard
     installed a manned lighthouse, which was later replaced by
     an automatic beacon. In addition, U.S. military personnel
     were placed on the island during both World Wars. Finally,
     the island has enjoyed short-term visits by Haitian
     fishermen."