#814: More on Lavinai Williams

From: Jean Claude <jc_international@yahoo.com>

I'm truly sorry to hear of the loss of Lavinia
Williams.
Try to locate Sarah Yaborough. She is Lavinia
Williams'
daughther who is also a dancer. She would be able to
supply you with material about her mother's
accomplishment. When you locate Sarah, I would like
like her Email address as we were chidhood friends.
Sincerely
Jean-Claude

============================
From: HerardN@aol.com

I studied with Lavinia Williams while I was on scholarship at the Alvin Ailey
Dance Theatre.  She was incredible.  One of her daughters, Sara Yarborough
(who grew up in Haiti), was a dancer at AADC as well.  Lavinia also taught at
the Harkness Ballet.  Haiti embraced her as one their own and from what I was
told she was buried in Haiti.  My cousin was a member of the dance that she
ran in Haiti back in the 50's.

Regarding the Katherine Dunham book, I think Lavina started out as a member
of Dunham's company.  That would probably explain why the Dunham book comes
up in a search for her.

Nancy Herard-Brown
HerardN@aol.com