#958: Vodou Initiation Group --- DeGraff asks (fwd)

From: Michel DeGraff <degraff@MIT.EDU>

There is one passage in Bon Mambo Racine Sans Bout Sa Te La Daginen's
latest post that left me deeply puzzled, which I'd like to ask about:

> We will give you the real, true Vodou, we will take you right into the
> heart of the Vodou and safely back out again!

What most puzzles me is the part "safely back out again".  Is the heart of
this "real, true Vodou" something to go IN AND OUT of?  I myself assume
that "true Vodou" is also a true religion with true spiritual, intellectual
and cultural benefits. If so, why should any TRUE "initiate" ever need to
be taken "safely back out" of "true Vodou"?  Speaking for myself, whenever
I enter into something that I feel is truly good, I do want to stay in it
forever: no need to be taken "safely back out" of it, ever.

Just wondering about the ideology and metaphysics of this "true Vodou" I
just read about...

                                 -michel.
MIT Linguistics & Philosophy, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139-4307
degraff@MIT.EDU        http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/www/degraff.home.html