#1047: fear of Haiti? (fwd)

From: Jedidiah Daudi Lyall <dlyall@cruzio.com>

The media, especially the Haitian media, love to brag about how
dangerous
Haiti is. It is a load of crap.

Tons of Haitians in the US seem to be afraid to even visit Haiti
because of
horror stories about how dangerous it is. I was in Miami in August and
met
a young woman working as a security guard on the streets in front of my

South Beach hotel. She came from Haiti when she was 8, 15 years ago.

She told me that she would love to see her auntie in ti Goave but is
terrified
to go there to visit. This is wacked! Miami is much more dangerous that
PauP.

Does some strange inner beast make the haitian chattering class turn
every story of back home into a boogie man story?

I guess the same thing happens in country. I walked from the Park Hotel
up to
Olaffson for a thursday nite event last April. Walked back also.
Everyone who
heard about this daring 8 block adventure was shocked. Strange.
----
J. David Lyall or
     Jedidiah Daudi
dlyall AT cruzio DOT com