#1465:Questions about Leadership : Dorce replies

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

Guy Antoine:
<< The following questions are addressed to all forum participants:

 1) In a system of government such as the one recently adopted
 by Haiti, what would be the most desirable attributes of a
 President?  The most desirable attributes of a Prime Minister?

  The leader of Haiti should be driven to put the country first over his/her
own needs
   and ego.  Someone said recently on this list that a revolutionary leader
is different
   from an administrative one.  I agree, but the revolution is just begun not
finished.
   So this leader should be given the authority to do those things which need
to be
   done to get the country on track for an administrative leader to take
over.  As for
   president and prime minister, I am against this arrangement.  Why should I
vote
   for someone who is nothing more than a figure head???  I do not get this
at all.
   As far as I am concerned this is a ploy to strip Aristide of his
power...let him do
   his job.

 2) Will the people of Haiti ever truly consider the Prime Minister
 as the official truly in charge of running the government, and
 entrust him with more effectual power than the President, the
 head of state?

   No.  And neither do I (see above.)  What a horrible idea.  Dump the PM.

 3) Given the political and social realities of Haiti, what are the
 limits, if any, of moral leadership?  What are the limits, if any,
 of constitutional adherence?  What are the limits. if any, of
 national sovereignty?

   Any constitution written by the US for Haiti should be considered null and
void.
   Limits.....you mean where should the moral authority of the leadership
end?  OK,
   I feel that there should be an interim method of government that will
allow the
   leadership to accelerate the timing of making needed changes in Haiti.  Old
   and bad habits die hard, corruption and graft don't stop because someone
says
   stop.  They start to kill people who threaten the old ways of amassing
fortunes.
   This translates to a more authoritarian system than we in the US are
comfortable
   with....but we are not talking about the US we are talking about a
moribund system
   that will destroy Haiti if it is not changed.  I am for giving this
interim government a
   specific amount of time to accomplish these changes after which the
constitution
   kicks in and democracy reigns once again!

  I leave #4 to others....that was enough for a non-Haitian to
  offer.

thank you for opening up this discussion to all of us Guy, I have appreciated
your contributions to this list,

Kathy Dorce'