#1484: The Labeling of Haiti - Florestal Comments on Madhere's Suggestion (fwd)

From:Jmfloresta@aol.com

Wesley Madhere wrote:
<<I'd like to propose we begin a writing campaign to editors of major
newspapers and <<magazines everywhere to put a stop to this nonsense once and
for all....What I <<am suggesting is the following. Each time  "The Phrase"
is mentioned in an article <<anywhere, we bombard the editor of that
particular periodical with a barrage of <<letters.  If it's a  small local
paper in your city or hometown, I suggest you forward <<their address/e-mail
to the rest of us (those who are interested)so we all can send <<letters
instead of just one person expressing his/her own view.  I believe it
requires <<that kind of collective effort if we to put a stop to it.>>

Kudo to Madhere for this suggestion. If a large number of Haitians
participate in this effort and manage, at least, to make the writers SHY
about using this unfair label, we would have accomplished many small
victories. While I agree with Madhere that there is a psychological victory
there, there are many others that would be accomplished that are also
important:

1) It would motivate Haitians to better appreciate the power they have when
they join forces, instead of the individual victories which most succesful
Haitians outside of Haiti have to accomplish alone.

2) It would signal that Haiti may not be as powerless as it has been so far
depicted. But let's not get carried away. We are a long way from the Jewish
Anti Defamation League's power - and many other like Jewish organizations
here - and the respect they enjoyed throughout the world in defending
antisemitism.

3)Using the same arguments presented by Madhere - should every country have a
label reflecting the least attractive of its attributes - we will denounce
the unfairness of some in the media against the defenseless.

4) It will also show that the Corbett's list is not talk only. Haiti has
enough problems already that it does not need to add unfair label to them.

While Madhere's willingness to contribute financially for an ad - informing
that we won't take it anymore - is noble , our collective actions will speak
louder. So, let's stop this unfair label.