#1510: rubric: Davis replies (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

Aha! Having studied Latin for 6 years, here's one I know! A "rubric" is a
title, heading, sub-heading, or important note written in red ink (with the
rest of the text in black). This was a convention in European medieval
manuscripts. (note the relation to our word ruby). The red came to be used
to distinguish "marginal notes" telling a priest how to perform a liturgical
act, interspersed within the text to be read during divine service. I most
often here the term used to mean complicated directions or protocols, but
here Lyall is clearly using it with he "title" meaning.
Karen