#1653: Durran comments on crime in Haiti

From: Mary Durran <mdurran@colba.net>

Just to pick up on your point about the crime rate in Haiti - in 1997, I
attended a talk given by a foreign police officer to Haitian journalists on
how to cover crime.  This officer presented a tableau of crime statistics
of other Caribbean nations, and Haiti actually had one of the lowest crime
rates.  His point was that journalists should get it into proportion.

As people have pointed out on the list, although there are criminals about,
fear of crime does not actually paralyse the average citizen, stopping them
from going out, as some press reports would have readers believe.  I
wonder, for example, if the crime rate is any worse than it was when I
lived in Haiti, until the end of 1997?

Does anyone know about any  statistics available that shed light on the
real proportions of Haiti's crime rate?

> Subject: #1634: The Gourde's Current Weakness: Hudicourt comments
> Date: Saturday, January 01, 2000 10:18 AM
>

> From: gilles hudicourt <hudic@videotron.ca>
>

> > There may be other reasons. Can you or anyone else think of another
> reason.
> >

> I can.  All the factories are no more.  Payrolls that used to arrive in
> "green" from overseas now go elsewhere.  Reynolds and Cedren mining that
> closed.  Plantation Dauphin is closed.  Our coffee exports dwindled.
From